Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: restore via cydia

Default restore via cydia
    Hello all I am new to your forum so not even sure this post is in right location but any input will be helpful hanks.

I have a 32Gig 3gs that I want to restore the phone has ssh file backup to cydia and you can see this message on top of cydia menu on phone. How do I know that I am contacting the Cydia server? below is the method I used but the device brings back the apple site response of device not eligible for restore. Should device not restore or throw out a code in the 300 range ie(3002)

Downloaded clean 3.1.2

Open notepad and click run as admnin.

Open windows/system32/drivers/etc

Click on host and open wit note pad

Enter # at beginning of last line o file page so that this line command is ignored as others above it.

Then entered on line below Cydia server address as (74.208.10.249 tab 3 spaces enter gs.apple.com

Then open command prompt and ping cydia server and receive a message of confirmation 4packets sent 4 packets received.

I then proceed to itunes to run restore only to get the standard response (device ineligible for restore)

What am I doing wrong or is there another way?

Thanks

Im at the same spot as you right now.

I'm searching for an answer. Error 3002 for no SHSH files but we are not getting that.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

so it looks like this?

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
    # 127.0.0.1 localhost
    # ::1 localhost
    74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I'm not sure what you mean about your hosts file but it should look like this:

74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com

No need for 3 tabs or 3 spaces, just put it as I wrote it. Afterwards, check it be opening a command prompt and typing in:

ping gs.apple.com

The response should come from the IP that you edited in the hosts file.

Oh yeah, don't put the '#' sign anywhere. What that sign basically says is "ignore whatever is written on the line after this"

Thanks

Yep, I've tried both IP addresses. 74.208.105.171 is the other one. I can ping both as well and I tried the 3 tab spaces between. I'm on win 7 and it was mentioned several times about three spaces so I did it. Shouldn't hurt.

But I still get isn't eligible. It's like it's just talking to Apple. I'm not sure if I got shsh files or not but this is the only way I find out.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

If you've edited the hosts file and when you ping gs.apple.com you get response from the IP you out into the hosts file, it means you've done it properly.

If you then still get the 'ineligible build' error, then Cydia doesn't have your 3.1.2 SHSH files. Are you sure they're on there? Are you sure it didn't just have your 3.1.3 files?

Thanks

I know I don't have 3.1.3 shsh files cause my phone ain't Jbroken yet..lol.

And again, I'm not sure I have shsh files but I was under the impression a different error would occur. A 3002 error was mentioned in a youtube vid.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

If you've never been jailbroken, then you don't have the SHSHs on file with Cydia meaning there's no way to downgrade (or stay at 3.1.2) for you.

Thanks

I very much understand that. Most of us are here because we were upgraded to 3.1.3 for one reason or another and our phones are now un-JB and locked.

My phone was JB and unlocked with 3.1.2. I remember playing with Cydia's server options but I don't know if I actually turned it on when I had 3.1.2. I can't actually install Cydia on my current 3.1.3 phone and see if it had SHSH files since it's not JB.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

If you've tried re-directing iTunes to Cydia and still get the error, you didn't have them stored.

If you want to test this yourself further, you can try asking for them through the firmware umbrella tool.

The Firmware Umbrella

You'll need to get your phone's ECID and then type it into the umbrella tool and ask it to get your 3.1.2 files. If it gives an error, they're not there.

Guys thanks for all the return post I have tried every thing even search for my files on cydia using umbrella. I am just to going restore to 3.1.3 and wait I guess at least I can use it as a glorified ipod for time being.

Thanks

tried the umbrella thing. Thanks but it didn't do anything. I researched how to get my ecid number. That was pretty easy I input it with 3.1.2 and pointed it to Cydia but nothing. It just sat there. I'm sure I don't have the files but I was hoping. Guess I'll sit back and wait too.