Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Is this a good 3gs to buy and jailbreak?

Thanks

Default Is this a good 3gs to buy and jailbreak?
    I can get a 3gs, week 29, MB not MC, with 3.1 and 5.11.07.
    Is this a good phone to jailbreak and unlock, or do
    I need more info?
    Should I run that forecAst program? Is that complicated?

Thanks

if u are wanting to know if it will an untethered jailbreak then yes it's a good phone...will also accept custom firmwares which is another plus

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Yeah, it's a good phone. The only thing that could be better was if it had baseband 04.26.08

Thanks

What would be better with 4.26.08? Just so I know if it's a big difference.

So this phone would have untethered jailbreak?

So I could use a custom firmware and if I ever needed to restore I would be able to restore to a custom firmware and preserve my baseband, is this correct?

You can do whatever u want with that phone. As long as u make sure u do NOT upgrade to an official 3.1.3 release. You can also put custom firmware on it and keep ur 5.11.07. I'm currently on a 3GS with 3.1.3 at 04.26.08. And i plan on keeping 04.26.08 for as long as apple lets me, LoL

Thanks

u can use ultrasn0w to unlock 4.26.08 where as u have to use blacksn0w for 5.11.07 and from my reading on here blacksn0w unlocks seem to not be as stable as ultrasn0w unlocks...yes it will be an untethered jailbreak and yes u can restore to custom firmwares as I said in my first post

Quote Originally Posted by Effenpig! View Post
    What would be better with 4.26.08? Just so I know if it's a big difference.

So this phone would have untethered jailbreak?

So I could use a custom firmware and if I ever needed to restore I would be able to restore to a custom firmware and preserve my baseband, is this correct?
    Having bb 4.26.08, you can use ultrasnow to unlock it, untrasnow is more stable than blacksnow.
    You can load the custom firmware with any firmware version you want and still have the baseband 4.26.08 to use with ultrasnow...
    The phone you plan to buy it good anyways cause it has old bootrom in it, believe me dealing with new bootrom is really hassle, I had one with new bootrom, sold it and bought one with old bootrom version, now I am good.
    Good luck

Thanks

Ok, so I'll probably grab this phone Friday, since it sounds like it's a good find.

Edit: so now I'm thinking about this.

I can buy the 3gs now for $200, or I can wait for the new iPhone to come out and then I can just have the 3gs, free!

But if I wait, and my friend has to restore for some reason, I would be screwed because he will just restore to 3.1.3. He's not interested in jailbreaking and he's a busy person so he won't mess around with it, he'll just plug it in and restore. ( or if he's closer to an apple store than home, he'll just take it there)

There's no gaurantee that a jailbreak will follow the release of the new iPhone, sompqssing up this phone while it's still at 5.11.07 could be a mistake

any thoughts?
    Last edited by Effenpig!; 2010-03-22 at 01:31 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

you sound like you have no faith in the dev team...it's really a matter of whether you are willing to risk the chance of no jailbreak for the phone or get one now while u still can

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

If you could borrow it, you could get the SHSHs stored on Cydia by getting the ECID and then ask Cydia to get it by using the firmware umbrella tool.

Though, it would still be smart if you told the guy that it was essential that he didn't update/restore.

Thanks

@j3- I have a lot of respect for the dev team, and the others, but it's a crapshoot. All known exploits could be absent in the new firmware and it could be quite some time for a new jailbreak to come out. I Refuse to put myself in the position of having to wait if something goes wrong. I'll always have my 3g if I need it though.

@dhamien- I told him not to update/restore. But if it becomes necessary, then he'll just have to. He's far too busy to deal with not having a phone for even a few minutes. Bit most likely if he is away from home and something happens he will just go to the nearest apple
    store and buy a new phone. I'd say the chances are actually slim that he will end
    up updating/ restoring he's got to do what he needs to do to keep moving!!

Is there a date for the new iPhone release? If it's soon I'll just wait and
    save the $200, although I honestly doubt he'll take the money either way

Thanks

if apple holds true to form it will be around June or July on the new iPhone

Thanks

Well, if the prospective date is 3 months away at best, I think I should just get it now. From what it sounds these MB models with the older firmware and 5.11.07 are getting harder to find, so I probably shouldn't pass it up. I mean, if you think about it, I could sell it for a lot more than $200 on eBay if I change my mind. Plus it white, and I really like the white phones. I'll probably ditch my invade slider and just get the full body shield.

Thanks for everyones input, it us appreciated. If you think of anything else I should know let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Effenpig! View Post
    Well, if the prospective date is 3 months away at best, I think I should just get it now. From what it sounds these MB models with the older firmware and 5.11.07 are getting harder to find, so I probably shouldn't pass it up. I mean, if you think about it, I could sell it for a lot more than $200 on eBay if I change my mind. Plus it white, and I really like the white phones. I'll probably ditch my invade slider and just get the full body shield.

Thanks for everyones input, it us appreciated. If you think of anything else I should know let me know.
    3gs 16g old bootrom with with any firmware other than 3.1.3, you can easily sell it on ebay or craiglist for $450.
    I don't need to know how much you pay for this, but I can buy it from you any day at $400...
    good luck

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Buy it now and ditch it later. It is a win/win situation. The MC doesn't matter with iPhones. Mine is a MC and jailbreaking works great. I think that is more iPod specific.