Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Does jailbreaking 3.1.3 erase everything?

Default Does jailbreaking 3.1.3 erase everything?
    following this guide I jailbroke my 3.1.3 but it's vanilla... iPhone Jailbreak Guides | iPhone Tutorials | ModMyi.com Blog Archive How to Jailbreak 3.1.3 iPhone 3G & iPod Touch 1G/2G Windows & OS X

My friend has a ton of aps and text and everything on his. Is he going to loose all this? How could we prevent it?

jailbreaking does not erase anything on your phone in terms of apps, contacts or content.

your friend should be fine. Jailbreak away

Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious1 View Post
    jailbreaking does not erase anything on your phone in terms of apps, contacts or content.

your friend should be fine. Jailbreak away
    are you sure you understand what i'm doing? Jailbreaking 3.1.3 requires loading redsnow, booting into dfu and downgrading to 3.1.2

are you 100% sure that doing this isn't going to erase anything on my friends phone???

i am sure.... since you do not actually downgrade to 3.1.2. You only download the firmware to the computer as Redsn0w needs it to run the jailbreak.....you will still be on 3.1.3 during the entire process

i actually have 2 iphones both on 3.1.3 and jailbroken with redsnow....none of my stuff was erased.

again....you are not actually installing 3.1.2 on the phone itself...you are simply using the FW file for redsnow to work

Even if you are on 3.1.2 and you want to jailbreak 3.1.3, all you have to do is upgrade to 3.1.3 (not restore) and you won't lose app store apps or data. You will lose any jilbreak stuff, and you will have to get it all back after the jailbreak. But that is true of any process where you reset the firmware to stock. But jailbreaking 3.1.3 with redsn0w doesn't require DFU mode, or downgrading.