Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Which firmware installs will preserve user data?

Default Which firmware installs will preserve user data?
    I have a corrupted iPhone 3G with an unknown jailbroken 3.1 . I'd like to restore it with data preserved if possible, but don't know under what conditions data is not wiped out. Unfortunately, everything I've found just says that user data is deleted on an upgrade but kept when the same version is reloaded. What happens on a downgrade, e.g. loading 3.0 with an old iTunes? What if 3.1 is reloaded, but the official version, or a different JB variant? Does it matter what software is doing the reload?

Thanks.

Thanks

Any firmware update will wipe the phone. You need to sync / backup your phone before installing the new firmware. Then when you sync / restore after the firmware installation all your data will be back.

Quote Originally Posted by Simtech View Post
    Any firmware update will wipe the phone. You need to sync / backup your phone before installing the new firmware.
    Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately, my phone is hung in a boot loop (not recovery mode loop). When I manually put it in recovery mode, iTunes only offers a restore option. Details here: http://modmyi.com/forums/general/703...save-data.html . Are you aware of any tool or procedure that might help recover the data?

Thanks.

Thanks

I think you're missing it. The data is only as good as your last sync.