Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3G on 3.0 upgrading to 3.1.2... hactivated or not question

Default 3G on 3.0 upgrading to 3.1.2... hactivated or not question
    I completely apologize if this is a reposted question or I am posting in the wrong subforum. If so, mods please move.

I have a 3G iPhone on OS 3.0 with baseband 04.26.08 and I want to preserve the baseband when I restore to 3.1.2. The reason I want to upgrade is I want to restore to clean it up (like re-installing a fresh OS on a PC) and more importantly, there are a number of apps I want to use that can only work on 3.1.x and higher.

I am on Fido (Canada) which is my official carrier and where the phone is from. However, in July, I plan to move it to Rogers where I have another retentions account that will be matched. Although Rogers owns Fido, they are different SIMS and require unlocking.

Using a custom IPSW, do I choose activated or non-activated?
    Or will I have to choose non now and restore in July to activated?
    Thanks
    Last edited by Ancaster; 2010-03-19 at 11:03 PM.

Best bet is to get unactivated now, then restore it to an activated one when you are ready for the unlock.

I mean, worse case though, if you unlock it now, and it gives you issues, just restore and leave it locked, then restore and unlock in july.

Quote Originally Posted by L00i3 View Post
    Best bet is to get unactivated now, then restore it to an activated one when you are ready for the unlock.

I mean, worse case though, if you unlock it now, and it gives you issues, just restore and leave it locked, then restore and unlock in july.
    Thank you.
    I don't get it though. Why is both offered? What's the difference inside the IPSW?
    I'm currently unlocked with ultrasn0w and I've tested 2 other carriers on it without problems.

I don't know what is actually different, just that one makes iTunes (or the phone) think it's activated so you can access the springboard and get to Cydia so you can install ultrasn0w (or blacksn0w depending). If you don't have an official SIM, then not hacktivating the firmware leaves you sitting at the Slide for Emergency screen with no way to access the springboard. If it gives you no problems being unlocked now, then I guess it won't hurt to hacktivate the firmware and unlock it when you update the OS.

All I know is my experience, and that was installing blacksn0w on a legit activated phone, and I had to restore because it seriously crippled and eventually (within an hour) killed my voice and data connections.

Nevermind, I got the custom IPSW to work, but I can't remember which one, lol, because one didn't and I chose the other one, "activated" I think. I'm on 3.1.2 but still baseband 04.26.08 which is awesome as I've never had a problem with ultrasn0w. What's even better is instead of using PkgBackup, I clean installed everything and now I have more free memory and it's working much faster than before.

Also, Todo with Lockinfo works, DragonDictation, iNoRotate, etc., lovin it like it's new.
    Last edited by Ancaster; 2010-03-22 at 07:10 AM.