Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Unlock question

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Default Unlock question
    If I decide to go ahead and use pwnage tool to JB 3.1.2 to unlock to use with a different carrier, can I still use it on AT&T and just swap out a sim card whenever I want or is it a do and be done and don't go back type thing?

If so, can someone point me to a 3gs 3.1.2 ipsw that has been JB since I don't have a mac

Thanks as always!

I just found geohot's purplesnow. Does that work good? Can I install that and still use my at&t but switch to another carrier at will and back if I so choose?

Thanks!
    Last edited by mj0528; 2010-03-19 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

You have baseband 05.11.07, right? If you want to be able to switch carriers, you need to make a custom 3.1.2 firmware that is activated. Once you've restored to that, use blacksn0w to unlock. There's no such thing as purplesn0w.

When you've unlocked, you can switch between carriers whenever you want to.

Quote Originally Posted by dhamien View Post
    There's no such thing as purplesn0w.
    Actually, there is On the iPhone: Make it ra1n, I'm makin' it sn0w On the iPhone: purplesn0w technicals On the iPhone: purplesn0w RC2 but it probably doesn't matter anyway.

@ the OP. If you have baseband 04.26.xx, jailbreak with custom 3.1.2 and unlock with ultrasn0w. If you have baseband 05.11.xx, unlock with blacksn0w. Not sure if you can just swap official & unofficial SIMs or not though. I do know that before I really understood unlocking, I unlocked mine with blacksn0w (I'm on AT&T) and it royally screwed my phone, and I had to restore it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to L00i3 For This Useful Post:

dhamien (2010-03-19)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by L00i3 View Post
    Ah, didn't know that. I thought geohot had only made a jailbreak for 3.0 with purplera1n, didn't know he had made an unlock too.