Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iphone 2g 4gb stuck in connect to itunes screen

Default iphone 2g 4gb stuck in connect to itunes screen
    A friend gave me his iphone 2g 4gb to have since he wasnt very knowledgeable about them(neither am I but figured I'd give it a shot.) It is stuck with connect to itune usb cord,I tried connect to itunes to restore but it gets stuck at waiting to restore and then gives error codes 1604 ,20 etc. I used pwnage and made a custom ipsw and it follwed instructions it gave which made a pineapple pop up on the iphone but it still would'nt boot. I'm using a g5 intel running snowleopard if anyone can help me It would be greatly appreciated.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Make sure you are on the latest version of iTunes. Make sure you have a clean 3.1.2 (or 3.1.3 if you'd like) FW ready.

Plug the phone into the computer and put the phone into DFU mode. You can do so by holding down the power button then the home button together, wait for your computer to make a sound and release the power button and continue to hold the home button for 10 seconds or so. Then release and you should be in DFU mode (blank black screen).

iTunes should recognize the device in DFU mode (or it might say recovery mode) and tell you it needs to be restored. Do shift+restore and select the FW you have ready to restore the phone.

If you continue to have problems with the restore process, try another computer, error 1604 pertains to USB port issue. Or try another USB port...

Anyhow, if you do successfully do a restore, you can jailbreak on 3.1.2 with Blackra1n or 3.1.3 with Redsn0w. You can unlock with BootNeuter from Cydia.

You can try downloading a custom firmware from online to shift+restore it tho it looks like you've already tried doing that by making your own custom FW and it didn't turn out well. If the above fails, try another custom firmware from online and see if that works. If not, keep me posted.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-03-20 at 06:02 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone ugshotgun's Avatar
    Thanks

I agree firmly about the USB port issue. For some reason my main computer can no longer restore my phone from the connect to itunes logo; I have to use my second computer to restore it and then I can restore from back up on my main computer...weird but true!
    Note 4 and iPhone 6 Plus: The best of both worlds!

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

I actually had a problem with my computer recognizing my iPhone (it would charge it but iTunes wouldn't pick it up). I had to do a recovery on my laptop (I needed to anyway not just for iPhone lol) and the USB ports stopped acting stupid. My iPhone was charging and recognized by iTunes. Sometimes faulty USB connection can cause these issue and might result in a recovery if no other computer is accessable.