Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Jailbroken iPhone showing 7 gigs of space used when it should be free

Default Jailbroken iPhone showing 7 gigs of space used when it should be free
    Heya,

I have a jailbroken 3g S running 3.1.2 and recently it has been telling me I'm out of disk space. It started as about 3 gigs in "other".

I have seen other posts from people who have a similar problem but for them it seems, the problem was a corrupted iTunes database and simply deleting it in some sort of file browser, or removing all songs/apps and then restoring them with iTunes has worked.

I have tried a load of things, but cannot restore with iTunes as I'll lose my jailbreak and I haven't hashed it? with cydia (is that right?)

Now, I think it is something to do with the applications. As I say I have tried a load of steps, both for similar problems, and general troubleshooting and re-jailbreaking. I have also tried "restore from backup" by right clicking on the iPhone in iTunes (I am on a mac, by the way). However at one point in one of these attempts to fix it, the space taken up in the "other" category jumped up (to around 7 gigs) which was more or less exactly the amount of space taken up by apps at the time (although the apps still take up their 3-4 gigs on top of the "other" category)

I have a feeling that there is a whopping 7 gig file or folder somewhere that I have missed, but cant work out how to find out if this is true. Is there an app (jailbreak or otherwise) that will let you see where the free space is taken up?

I have iFile and hoped there would be a "search for files larger than *" option but it doesn't seem that there is.

I can only think of one other thing that might work. I jailbroke with Blackra1n, which presumably, as it is only a small download, just modifies files on the iPhone. If I was to use Redsn0w, would this do a more thorough restore than what I can currently do with Blackra1n?

Is this even possible without my hashes stored with cydia - it is, after all, already jailbroken.

Anyway, sorry for the long post but I felt it was important to explain as much as possible about what was happening. Knowing me I've probably given you a load of useless information and missed out what's important

Many thanks.

Thanks

do u have Rock installed...if so that's your culprit...search around here and u will see several post about it

Thankyou J3st3r3.
    Yes, I have Rock installed.

I have now tried uninstalling rock, and then "Restore from Backup" in iTunes, but it is still reporting 7 gigs of used space when there should be nothing.

I have tried searching for Rock App, but there are so many threads which seem to have Rock mentioned that it's difficult to work out what might be a help for my situation.

Is there a Rock database I need to delete or something?

Thanks

diskaid or use winscp to getinto ur iphone and delete the log file in var>mobile>library>RYP> and after i did this i deleted the RYP folder after i un-installed rock

You can have a look in http://modmyi.com/forums/general-iph...tinuously.html for further information about the problem.

Thankyou, that's done the trick! Now if only I'd asked earlier, I wouldn't have lost a load of text messages