Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Help - * iPhone 32gb 3gs in DFU Mode - previously jailbroken, what to do next?

Default Help - * iPhone 32gb 3gs in DFU Mode - previously jailbroken, what to do next?
    Two days ago I purchased a black 32gb 3gs iPhone, MC model that the owner told me was jailbroken, unlocked, and on version 3.1.2. I met him to purchase the iphone but when he showed me the iphone, it was stuck at the apple logo and had been stuck for an hour. He told me that he had reset all content and settings from the iphone settings menu. Apparently because the phone had been jailbroken and is a 3gs phone, it "broke" when he did reset all content and settings. I did not know this and purchased the phone anyway, thinking that it was just taking a long time.

I went home, plugged it into my computer, and put the phone into DFU mode. I followed this guide:
    Jailbreak and Unlock iPhone 3.1 FAQs | Redmond Pie ws-anu759/
    I'm on WINDOWS XP. I shift-clicked restore and used the custom restore, but it didn't work, giving me error 1600 and saying that an unknown error occurred.

I do not know the iphone's ECID.

I do not want to update the iphone to version 3.1.3. I want to unlock and jailbreak the iphone. Is there anything I can do?

Thanks

meet the person again that sold you the phone and punch them in the face...seriously though i would contact the person and try to get my money back until he can either fix it or you find another phone...he probably was having issues with the phone and reset all content and was unable to restore it himself so he said "let me find someone that doesn't know any better and sell them my f'ed up phone". maybe some of the much smarter people on here can help but that is what i would try...

I can help u fix it, but it WILL be at 3.1.3 when ur finished. The ONLY problem u have is, u do not know if he tried to restore it to the retail release of 3.1.3. IF he did, then that means the modem version changed on the phone to the new modem version (and u can not change it back). So no matter what firmware u use (3.1.2 or 3.1.3) you CAN jailbreak it, but u can NOT unlock it. So for ur sake IF u are an ATT customer, then yes u can fix the phone and it will work. However if u are NOT an ATT customer, we can not say the phone will work......It will function like it is suppose to, but it will not get service (because it will need an unlock)....You can take the chance and see how it ends up. Your not gonna know until u take a change anways. Because u cant tell what modem version is on the phone in the state the phone is at right now....My 2 cents.

I got mine with 3.0 and i have had every firmware since then. Mine is still on the old 3.0 modem version of 04.26.08 (which is unlocked) but im also running 3.1.3.
    Last edited by l0k0; 2010-03-17 at 09:20 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

He won't be able to jailbreak it if he goes to 3.1.3

Joe:
    Do not restore to factory default and upgrade to 3.1.3 using Itune!!!

You might still be lucky and you are still at 3.1.2 with baseband 05.11:07.

Go to http://modmyi.com/forums/3g-s-downgr...o-crashes.html

It is in the 3Gs downgrading section.

You need to follow instruction and make sure you do a custom firmware in RECOVERY mode, not DFU.

Disconnect cable and turn the phone completely off by holding home and power button for 10-15 secs. Now press home and hold it, plug in cable and CONTINUE to hold home for 1-3 minutes. Eventually it will enter RECOVERY MODE with the connect to ITUNE logo.

Now follow instruction, including the host file mod. Get the custom firmware from the author, it worked for me. If you are lucky, you will get 3.1.2 back, provided the seller did not upgrade to 3.1.3.

I reset network setting while on 3.1.2 and that is what got me in the mess. Luckily, I did not update to 3.1.3 and was able to restore and unlock.

Thanks

i would suggest getting help from someone with a mac that can make you a 3.1.3 ipsw with pwnagetool because it's possible that it's still at 3.1.2. And by using pwnagetool, it will update the FW but it won't update the baseband so that you can possibly get back to 3.1.2

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Since the old owner wanted to get rid of it, it's more than likely a new bootrom phone meaning custom firmwares likely won't work.

@OP
    You should try getting the phone to boot with blackra1n. There's a thread around here somewhere that a lot of posters have written in and a few have had success in getting out of the boot loop. Try looking it up.

IF he does the official 3.1.3 release, NO he will not be able to jailbreak it. But IF he just lets someone make him a damn custom 3.1.3 for his ECID and other particular info on his phone. Then YES he can jail break it all damn day long. Problem is the custom firmware will use his current modem version. As long as he's not on the brand new modem version, then he should be able to unlock and go happily on about his business. IF for some reason he is on the new modem version, then his phone will work ONLY with an ATT sim card.

PS: What is the 3rd, 4th and 5th digits of your phones serial number?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by l0k0 View Post
    IF he does the official 3.1.3 release, NO he will not be able to jailbreak it. But IF he just lets someone make him a damn custom 3.1.3 for his ECID and other particular info on his phone. Then YES he can jail break it all damn day long. Problem is the custom firmware will use his current modem version. As long as he's not on the brand new modem version, then he should be able to unlock and go happily on about his business. IF for some reason he is on the new modem version, then his phone will work ONLY with an ATT sim card.

PS: What is the 3rd, 4th and 5th digits of your phones serial number?
    Well, custom firmwares only work for 3GS phones with the old bootrom, which by now, not a lot of phones do. So it's not certain at all that he'll be able to jailbreak using one of those.

As I said in my last post, if the previous owner had the old bootrom, he likely would have used a CFW himself instead of selling it broken.

And just for info, ECID isn't used for CFWs.

Quote Originally Posted by dhamien View Post
    Well, custom firmwares only work for 3GS phones with the old bootrom, which by now, not a lot of phones do. So it's not certain at all that he'll be able to jailbreak using one of those.

As I said in my last post, if the previous owner had the old bootrom, he likely would have used a CFW himself instead of selling it broken.

And just for info, ECID isn't used for CFWs.
    ECID works wonders on custom firmwares, IF u dont have access to the phone u are making a custom firmware for. Those firmwares share a common bond with each individual phone. Which is why most of the time u need someone with a mac to use YOUR phone to make you a custom firmware for your phone....But IF they dont have your phone, then they need your phones fingerprints.

All he's gotta do is figure out IF he truely has an old bootroom. And IF he does, then we can fix it for him very easy. He just has to hope he's still on 05.11 or older IF he needs the unlock.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

ECID isn't used at all when making or using a custom firmware.

Yeah ur right, im not gonna argue.

Then again, i guess the IBSS and IBEC files arent that important either, LoL

Amazing how things work so flawlessly IF you do it the correct way.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Yeah ur right, im not gonna argue.

Then again, i guess the IBSS and IBEC files arent that important either, LoL

Amazing how things work so flawlessly IF you do it the correct way.
    I'm not sure I follow. What are the IBSS and IBEC files used for when making and restoring to a custom firmware?

There is a search button, hehe. =-)
    Last edited by l0k0; 2010-03-19 at 01:42 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

There is a search button, hehe. =-)
    Ok, did a little searching and I still don't know what you mean. IBEC and IBSS are a part of the SHSH signatures, but when restoring to a custom firmware, you're bypassing the signing, so I don't see where they'd be useful (strictly speaking CFWs of course).