Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone 3gs Jailbreak question?

Default Iphone 3gs Jailbreak question?
    Hello everyone! My name is Megan
    I have an iphone 3gs and I have been doing my research very carefully before I decide to jailbreak or not. My phone was bought new and was preloaded with version 3.1.2 (7D11), so I just cancel out when it asks to upgrade to 3.1.3. I have also been doing research about the boot rom and my boot rom starts with 86 and the 4th and 5th digits are 02, does this mean a tethered jailbreak? I am also a little confused as to what "unlock" means? I thought it was the process to use your iphone with a different carrier but since I am sticking with AT&T I should only have to jailbreak. Another thing I came across while doing research was the model number, My model number begins with MC, will this be a problem for jail breaking? My last question in all this is what program should I use to jailbreak? I jailbroke my ipod touch 2g without any problems using blackra1n, and I loved how easy that program was to use. I am running a mac with version 10.6.2 Sorry for asking so many questions, I just wanted to get my facts straight before I decide to jailbreak. Help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Thanks

you will have a tethered jailbreak...it's really not a big deal if u are careful how you use your phone and what you put on it...the mc model number only applies to iPods so no need to worry about that...you are correct in that you do not need an unlock because you are with AT&T...I personally prefer redsn0w but others like blackra1n (too many boot loop issue posts with blackra1n fir my liking) so it's really your choice...if you use redsn0w then use either 0.9.2 or 0.9.3...not 0.9.4 (that's for iPods)

Thanks so much for the response. I think I'll just wait a little longer and hope an untethered jailbreak comes out soon.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

That's a week 2 3GS. It shouldn't be tethered.

Thanks

the 3gs was not offered until June of 2009...if her phone is a week 2 then it will be week 2 of 2010 and will be a tethered jailbreak

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by j3st3r3 View Post
    the 3gs was not offered until June of 2009...if her phone is a week 2 then it will be week 2 of 2010 and will be a tethered jailbreak
    Right on