Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: No ipsw file

Default No ipsw file
    I am trying to get my ipsw file so I can jailbreak my phone, but after I back up my iphone and browse to (\Users\(Username)\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates) there is not a file there.

Is there something else that I am supposed to do to make itunes create an ipsw? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but this is my first run at jailbreaking

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

Welcome to MMi,
    You can download any .ipsw version you want. Follow this link.
    Then hols shift button, click restore and point to the firmware you downloaded. I suggest you use Firefox as your browser, more stable.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bo Troxell For This Useful Post:

TheCrow13 (2010-03-17)

Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    Welcome to MMi,
    You can download any .ipsw version you want. Follow this link.
    Then hols shift button, click restore and point to the firmware you downloaded. I suggest you use Firefox as your browser, more stable.
    so if I use one of these to jailbreak my phone will I lose all my contacts and apps and all that?

Thanks

no as long as you are jailbreaking your current firmware version...if you are updating and jailbreaking then they will be gone but you can restore from your backup once the jailbreak process is complete and get them all back or just sync and get back everything but your old texts

thanks for the help, but one more question... I have a 3.1.3 version and I don't see it on the download list

Thanks

if u have a 3gs and it came with 3.1.3 then there is no jailbreak available at this time for your phone...if you have a 3g then download redsnow 0.9.2 and firmware 3.1.2 and when redsnow ask for your firmware file point it at the 3.1.2 (even though u are jailbreaking 3.1.3)

so with a 3gs I am out of luck? There is no way to downgrade the firmware?

Thanks

nope..with the 3gs apple requires the firmware be signed from their server and the only firmware they are signing right now is 3.1.3...be patient and hopefully a jailbreak will be available in a few months

Thanks

Follow this link for 3Gs 3.1.3 jailbreak method.

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheCrow13's Avatar
    Thanks

There is (NO) jailbreak for iPod Touch 3G/3.1.3 or iPhone with model (MC) as of yet, they are working on it but many say that with Geohot's playing around with PS3 hacking that there will not be a jailbreak for us at all. I am in the same spot because I had to buy a new iPod Touch 3G/32gb with 3.1.3 and I am stuck with no jailbreak, so I think that Geohot & DevTeam and this supposed GreenPoison is crap and they can not get past the bandwidth issues that Apple has put out in the new versions. Just my opinion and warn anyone with the version 3.1.2 to stick to it, do (NOT) upgrade at all or go through the hassel of downgrading which is not that easy
    Follow me on Twitter-Crow1372

Thanks

the method I gave above.
    iPhone 3GS (OLD BOOTROM ONLY. If the 4th/5th digits of the serial # are before 40 the you should have the old bootrom. If your current jailbreak is tethered DO NOT try this.)

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheCrow13's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    the method I gave above.
    iPhone 3GS (OLD BOOTROM ONLY. If the 4th/5th digits of the serial # are before 40 the you should have the old bootrom. If your current jailbreak is tethered DO NOT try this.)

# are before 40 the you should have the old bootrom & if your model say (MC) than your screwed for now
    (lol)
    Follow me on Twitter-Crow1372

Thanks

in the original post they said thisnis their first stab at jailbreaking and the phone is 3.1.3 already so I would assume that it is a new bootrom phone and even if it wasn't it would have already have to have been jailbroken to accept a custom firmware unless I have misunderstood everything I have about the old bootrom phones and using custom firmwares (which is very possible)

Quote Originally Posted by TheCrow13 View Post

# are before 40 the you should have the old bootrom & if your model say (MC) than your screwed for now
    (lol)
    That MC in the model number *ONLY* applies to the 3G iPod Touch, specifically the 8GB version that is the exact same thing as the 2G version, other than the fact that it doesn't get the nice clean jailbreak the 2G gets.

For iPhone 3G[S], the only thing that matters is the iBoot version. And going by serial number is *NOT* an exact science. There is a 3 or 4 week period of manufacture that is hit or miss on having old or new bootrom (iBoot)