Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Get SHSH info for currently installed OS 3.0 (non-jb 3GS)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Question Get SHSH info for currently installed OS 3.0 (non-jb 3GS)
    Is there any way to get at the SHSH info for a currently non-jailbroken 3GS (old bootrom) at 3.0?

When it was installed, the 3.0 os must have been signed by Apple, so I was wondering if

1) That signature still exists somewhere on the phone, and
    2) If that is true, is there anyway to grab it from the phone?

If I could, then I could store it somewhere and reinstall 3.0 if the jailbreak attempt goes south...

For the record, the phone came with 3.0 out of the box (week 27) and has never been upgraded.

Thanks.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

No, there's no way to get the signature now. The phone doesn't store the signature when it's doing the restore so the only way to get them is through Apple. And as Apple is only signing 3.1.3, that's the only version to get SHSH signatures for.

Since the phone has an old bootrom, you don't need to worry about SHSHs at all though, if you just stick to custom firmwares. Jailbreaks don't really go bad unless you do something wrong or use the wrong program.

What you should do is jailbreak now with redsn0w 0.8 (yes, there's a newer version but that's for 3.1.2). Afterwards, you should make a custom 3.1.2 firmware with pwnagetool (I highly recommend this instead of sn0wbreeze). Once you've made the CFW, store it on your computer. If you ever need to restore again, simply re-use the firmware you made last.

There's a lot of advantages to the custom firmwares. One being that you don't need SHSHs for various firmware versions. Another being that it preserves your baseband at a version that is not only unlockable, but unlockable with no bugs whatsoever (blacksn0w for official 3.1.2 f.ex has some bugs).

Here's a guide on pwnagetool (it works for 3.1.2 as well): iClarified - iPhone - How to Jailbreak Your iPhone 3GS Using PwnageTool [Mac]
    Here's download links for official firmwares for use with pwnagetool: iPod and iPhone Firmware Download

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dhamien For This Useful Post:

suseleto (2010-03-16)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dhamien View Post
    No, there's no way to get the signature now. The phone doesn't store the signature when it's doing the restore so the only way to get them is through Apple. And as Apple is only signing 3.1.3, that's the only version to get SHSH signatures for.

Since the phone has an old bootrom, you don't need to worry about SHSHs at all though, if you just stick to custom firmwares. Jailbreaks don't really go bad unless you do something wrong or use the wrong program.

What you should do is jailbreak now with redsn0w 0.8 (yes, there's a newer version but that's for 3.1.2). Afterwards, you should make a custom 3.1.2 firmware with pwnagetool (I highly recommend this instead of sn0wbreeze). Once you've made the CFW, store it on your computer. If you ever need to restore again, simply re-use the firmware you made last.

There's a lot of advantages to the custom firmwares. One being that you don't need SHSHs for various firmware versions. Another being that it preserves your baseband at a version that is not only unlockable, but unlockable with no bugs whatsoever (blacksn0w for official 3.1.2 f.ex has some bugs).

Here's a guide on pwnagetool (it works for 3.1.2 as well): iClarified - iPhone - How to Jailbreak Your iPhone 3GS Using PwnageTool [Mac]
    Here's download links for official firmwares for use with pwnagetool: iPod and iPhone Firmware Download
    My computers are Windows boxes (and Linux), but I could get access to a MAC if necessary. Can I create the firmware on a mac and then copy it to a Windows box for installing?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by suseleto View Post
    My computers are Windows boxes (and Linux), but I could get access to a MAC if necessary. Can I create the firmware on a mac and then copy it to a Windows box for installing?
    Yes, you can create the firmware on a mac and copy it to a windows computer. As I said, pwnagetool really is the better choice so since you can get access to a mac, that's what you should do. And as I also said, just store the file on your computer and if you ever run into problems, simply use the already made custom firmware.

Thanks

^^^^^
    woot woot...dhamien hit a 1000 posts...sorry for the thread hijack

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by j3st3r3 View Post
    ^^^^^
    woot woot...dhamien hit a 1000 posts...sorry for the thread hijack
    woop woop