Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Restore jb 3.1.2 - Having issues

Thanks

Default Restore jb 3.1.2 - Having issues
    Gday all

I'm having an interesting problem with trying to restore my 3gs.

Currently on 3.1.2, want to restore to 3.1.2, cydia has on file shsh, everything else is peachy except for an issue...

I can't get the ipsw to stay in the apple updated software file.

I've unhidden all files folders etc... it wasn't there to start with for an interesting reason.
    I d/l it.. it open itunes.. then disappeared...
    I deleted that one.. searched for 50 billion hours (really just a couple.. but felt like donkeys years..)
    Then d/l again using firefox (dunno why, thought that may make a difference, I've seriously tried everything else ) and when the d/l file thinger popped up, first chose open with itunes .. that didn't seem to do bugger all. So then did it again with save file. It saved in downloads folder, then I moved it manually to the apple software update folder, it stayed there.. until.. I did the shift restore, and *poof* gone again.

Am I going insane or doing something really wrong? Or just going insane?

Some one.. anyone.. please help.. I know bits and stuff bout pooters, but this is starting to seem ridiculous.

Thanks, and hi, this is my first post

Oh, and when I connect iPhone to iTunes it comes up with:

"iTunes cannot read the contents of the iPhone "...... iPhone". Go to the summary *snort blah restore etc* "

Can't go into any categories without a crash, can't do anything exciting except make calls.. boring hah.

"other" bit in the summary (when it came up before all this excitement, now it wont read nuttin.. boooo) is taking up more than half of storage (of 16gb 3gs) and tries to eat more and more every time I looked, then popped up with the awesome message that the iphone is running out of storage.. WELL STOP EATING IT THEN... silly.

Oh, and.. by the by, I'm sitting here, and not moving until I get a reply.. I'll be in the corner crying.
    Last edited by HeavenlyVT; 2010-03-16 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

What browser are you using to download the ipsw file? Use Firefox and place the file on your desktop, do not unzip it.

Thanks

Thanks muchly.
    Downloading again.. with firefox.. again.. but I have no idea how to save it directly to destop.. just comes up open with itunes.. or save.. and doesn't give a directory to save it to...

But then.. I've used firefox like 5 times in my life.. so this is new to me too

So I just saved it.. it'll be in the downloads folder.. and I'll just bung it onto desktop yeah?

Soz for sounding like a retard... lol

Leave the file you downloaded anywhere other than that folder you are trying to move it to. iTunes automatically deletes old firmwares from that folder. Also, as far as the low disk space issue, there is an issue with rock. There is a thread calked something like memory slowly dissappearing or something like that in the General iPhone Chat section that describes the issue and a fix for it

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by L00i3 View Post
    Leave the file you downloaded anywhere other than that folder you are trying to move it to. iTunes automatically deletes old firmwares from that folder. Also, as far as the low disk space issue, there is an issue with rock. There is a thread calked something like memory slowly dissappearing or something like that in the General iPhone Chat section that describes the issue and a fix for it
    Thanks muchly too.

BUT.

Even if I leave the file in the downloaded files.. as soon as I go to restore.. it pops up the restore ipsw file box from.... and the download no longer appears.. Miraculously disappeared....

(Oh.. and genius.. I was thinking for ages what I'd installed lately.. deleted stuff. etc.. didn't even think of rock... and that's another that I'd installed... pff.... Thanks again..)

but I still have the original issue.. ipsw disappearing..
    Last edited by HeavenlyVT; 2010-03-16 at 05:02 PM.

oh you need to change the extension from .zip to .ipsw and it will show up the next time you try it. it does not matter where you save it to.