Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Is it safe/any way to reset?

Default Is it safe/any way to reset?
    I bought a 3Gs on the first week of March. Its jailbroken, on 3.1.2, new bootrom, 5.11.07 BB. Obviously I went past the cutoff on saving the SHSH file so I only have 3.1.3 on Saurik's server.

At the moment I'm really careful on this thing coz I dont have a safety net. I was wondering if there was a way to "clean" my phone and restore it to the default 3.1.2 firmware? Like perhaps doing a factory reset? I'm asking this since I'm trying out different apps and starting to clog up the phone with installs/uninstalls. I also would love to tinker around the firmware and stuff. Im scared that i might get it into a reboot cycle and have to update to 3.1.3 to save it.. If theres no way then I'll have to stop fiddling with it till the next jailbreak then.

you can jailbreak with custom firmware 3.1.3, this will preserve your baseband. Follow instructions on the link below

iClarified - iPhone - How to Jailbreak Your iPhone 3G on OS 3.1.3 Using PwnageTool (Mac)
    iPhone 4
    Firmware : iOS4
    Carrier : Softbank (Japan)
    Jailbroken using Jailbreakme

3. The Following User Says Thank You to raziiq For This Useful Post:

F1refly (2010-03-16)

Wait, so this works for the 3Gs with the new bootrom? Aka, tethered jailbreak?

Thanks

settings>general>reset>Erase all Content and setting

will delete all your apps and stuff but not need a computer to do it so no updating risks and what not

thanks button in advance

6. The Following User Says Thank You to z3r01 For This Useful Post:

F1refly (2010-03-16)

before i hit that button, lemme ask, does it also remove the jailbreak and unlock?

Thanks

uuuuuhhhhh, i dont remember lol but if it does u can just run it again as its real easy to do that , just connect and run, dont need to open itunes or anything so u should be safe....worst case scenario is u loose jailbreak but like i said, a minute with blackra1n will fix that up in no time

thanks button is there to serve ur every needs

9. The Following User Says Thank You to z3r01 For This Useful Post:

F1refly (2010-03-16)

good show

and yeah, i was hoping it would remove the jailbreak and unlock so i can tinker more.. lol

Quote Originally Posted by z3r01 View Post
    settings>general>reset>Erase all Content and setting

will delete all your apps and stuff but not need a computer to do it so no updating risks and what not

thanks button in advance
    Aren't you like a super mod or something? Seems like super mods would read a lot of posts. I guess you missed the few (lots) of posts where people that are jailbroken that hit that button end up putting their phones into a never ending boot loop. And if you would have read the original post in this thread, you would have seen that a boot loop is what this person is trying to avoid. I hope if they do hit that button, that I am completely wrong.

@ F1refly...Unfortunately, right now in apple's eyes, a factory reset means installing 3.1.3. Even though "restore" says it will reset the phone back to it's original settings, it really doesn't, since for you original would be 3.1.2. All it does is perform a clean reinstall of the firmware, in this case, 3.1.3.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to L00i3 For This Useful Post:

F1refly (2010-03-16)

Thanks

ummm, i've hit a erase all settings on my iphone and didnt go on a loop.....and i have a 3GS on 3.1.2....so....

14. The Following User Says Thank You to z3r01 For This Useful Post:

F1refly (2010-03-16)

I see, thanks for the heads up. In any case I was just askin if there was any semblance of cleaning up my phone. Im really wary about tinkering with it too much as i dont have a safety net. Im asking around only coz i might let my curiousity get the best of me and get overboard with the tinkering. usually happens when im bored. cheers to both of ya

Thanks

lmao well, to be safe lets not hit that button,

LOOi3 is right , i was mistaken with erase network settings , i apologize,

wait, what if u just sync it to a new library, that would just erase all the apps and songs but definitely keep the jailbreak
    Last edited by z3r01; 2010-03-16 at 06:42 PM.