Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to Jailbreak 3GS currently on 3.0.1

Default How to Jailbreak 3GS currently on 3.0.1
    Very difficult question.
    3GS, old boot rom, 3.0.1, BB04.26.08, never JB
    Want to upgrade to 3.1.2, JB and not change 04.26.08 --- What is the safest best way? I don't want to be forced to stock 3.1.3

I have previously upgraded a 3G to 3.1.2 with pwnage but ran into 1600 error. Would this type of error be bad when upgrading the 3GS?

Should I go straight to 3.1.2 with custom FW via pwnage? if it fails on first attempt is it game over for the 04.26.08.
    Should I first JB with Redsnow and point at 3.0 FW? Then use pwnage in Restore mode on this now JB 3.0.1?
    Also please make recomendation on version of Pwnage and Redsnow, if I should use older versions of these.

Redsnow will want DFU mode, Pwnage will probably want DFU mode. If I get stuck in DFU mode is it game over for 04.26.08.
    If I should start with Redsnow, should I do this step on Mac or Windoz? I have access to both.
    If custom 3.1.2 with Pwnage is best, will it be better to apply to the 3GS on a Mac or Windoz. Thanks.

Thanks

you will want to jailbreak first, I know redsn0w 0.8 will work for that...not sure about newer versions. use pwnagetool to create custom 3.1.2 firmware (no need for a jailbreak afterwards as it will already be jailbroken),

Thanks for the reply. But I need better instructions. I would like to use the current versions of tools, unless something older is better. Also if you think I should use Redsnow, which FW should I point it to. Should I use a Mac or PC with Redsnow?

Also I have experienced 1600 errors with other iPhones. Should I use a Window PC with the Custom FW.

I really need detailed help. Thanks.

Jailbreak it right now with redsn0w 0.8. Point redsn0w at the 3.0 firmware. (redsn0w gives you directions to follow)

Build a custom 3.1.2 firmware with PwnageTool 3.1.4, then restore your phone with it in iTunes (say Yes when PwnageTool asks if your phone is pwned already). You will not need to be in DFU or recovery mode to restore with the custom firmware since your phone will already be in a jailbroken state.

At the end of the process, you will be jailbroken on 3.1.2 with the 04.26.xx baseband intact

Pwnage Tool available here Dev-Team Blog - Pwnage Pie

redsn0w 0.8 available here Apple, iPhone & iPad Forums, Mods, Guides, News, Themes, Downloads, and more! | ModMyi.com - Downloads - redsn0w Windows 0.8 (windows)
    Apple, iPhone & iPad Forums, Mods, Guides, News, Themes, Downloads, and more! | ModMyi.com - Downloads - redsn0w Mac 0.8 (Mac)
    Last edited by L00i3; 2010-03-16 at 05:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

thank you L00i3...i'm at work and couldn't get that detailed from my phone

Quote Originally Posted by j3st3r3 View Post
    thank you L00i3...i'm at work and couldn't get that detailed from my phone
    I know exactly what you mean. Luckily, this is one of the few sites that isn't blocked at work for me, as I am also at work. Slow night.

Thanks guys. I still have a few questions. But that is helpful for tonight.

hi, thanks for the instructions

what should i do when it asks if i want my carrier settings updated when i plug it into itunes for the first time?

Carrier settings are fine. They won't break a jailbreak. Just make sure that if you do update them, to reboot your phone after they install to make sure they take effect