Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: help w/bricked iphone?

Default help w/bricked iphone?
    I jailbroke my iPhone 3g a year ago and it messed up the other day. It kept freezing and I could not use it at all. I read the only way to fix is to restore. Stupid me, I restored it and updated it to 3.1.3 through apple. I got an error at the end. Now I'm on a Mac and trying to just unlock the thing so I can use it as an ipod touch. I don't want to use it to make calls at all. I have spent roughly 12hrs trying to fix this over the past 2 days and I cannot find anything, anywhere. Can someone please let me know what my options are if I have any at all?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by woodrrow View Post
    I jailbroke my iPhone 3g a year ago and it messed up the other day. It kept freezing and I could not use it at all. I read the only way to fix is to restore. Stupid me, I restored it and updated it to 3.1.3 through apple. I got an error at the end. Now I'm on a Mac and trying to just unlock the thing so I can use it as an ipod touch. I don't want to use it to make calls at all. I have spent roughly 12hrs trying to fix this over the past 2 days and I cannot find anything, anywhere. Can someone please let me know what my options are if I have any at all?

Thanks
    It's just odd that you got error when updating FW for your 3G.
    Try to restore it again via iTunes. Open iTunes, Turn off your phone, put the phone in recovery mode (holding home button while plug the cable in your Mac, you will see a iTunes plug in cable pic on your phone, iTunes will states something like the phone need to restore, then restore it.
    With 3.1.3, you can still Jailbreak it but it will be locked at AT&T.
    Let us know if you are able to restore it at 3.1.3
    good luck

I got it to work, I got the restore to work with 3.1.3 then put my ATT sim back in and it unlocked it from itunes to use as ipod. then I took my sim back out.