Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: cant jailbreak iphone 3g

Default cant jailbreak iphone 3g
    hey guys i got a 3g iphone 8gb about a year ago.
    i updated to firmware 3.1.3 (im a dumbass)
    i have never jailbroke it i dont need to unlock i just want internet tethering again like i had on 3.0

im using itunes 9.03 on windows 7 64 bit
    originally when i upgraded to 3.1.3 itunes gave me error 13 and left my phone with the itunes usb screen so i took my phone to at&t and they updated it for me.
    i have been researching how to jailbreak the last couple of days and have tried everything ive read a few times and still no luck

ive tried jailbreaking with snowbreeze 1.5.1 just keeps giving me: object reference not sent to an instance of an object.

redsn0w 9.4 and 9.3 gets me close the phone gets stuck with pic of hard drive and downloading jailbreak data...

blackra1n just puts my phone in dfu mode and nothing else sometimes it will say it was jailbroke but i dont see any diffrence

any tips would be appreciated

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

Welcome to MMi,
    Use redsn0w, but you will need to have 3.1.2 firmware as resn0w does not recognize 3.1.3, so when it asks for the .ipsw point to the 3.1.2

Thanks

I had to jailbreak a friends 3.1.3 the other day. I used snowbreeze and did it with no problem. U have to download the 3.1.2 firmware to ur CPU and then when u use snowbreeze to jailbreak it ask for the location of that file and it does the rest. It has a link to download 3.1.2 on the snowbreeze page. Unlocking is not do'able yet on 3.1.3, probably never will be..

Correction - I may have used redsnow!! They both have "snow" in their names. I'm not at home so im not sure. But either way u have to download the 3.1.2 firmware first.
    Last edited by mbeezy81; 2010-03-13 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

thanks for the quik reply
    i have tried redsn0w 9 ,9.3,and 9.4 with 3.1.2 several times it gets stuck at the pic of a hard drive and says downloading jailbreak data...

hot damn i got it!!!
    looking at your tutorial it says to use redsn0w 9.4 but pics show 9.2
    so i used 9.2 and it worked! should i try it in 9.4 now? or just be happy it works with what i got
    now what? how do i get internet tethering
    what else can i do with a jailbroke phone
    Last edited by mindset11; 2010-03-14 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 956 Posts

U can do a bunch of things with a jailbroken phone. Stay with us to see the wonders of it

Thanks

There's tons of Apps that u can install that Apple would not allow to run on the phone, either from Cydia or Rock. Also u can do alot of customization to ur phone ex. Themes, icons, fonts and so on....there's always new things so stick with ModMyI to get the latest and greatest 

thanks
    does it matter what version of redsn0w i used or is all the same since i have cydia now?

Thanks

Naw, it shouldn't matter....once it's jailbroken it's all pretty much the same!! If ur firmware is up to date, 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 u shouldn't have any problems

When I use Redsn0w 9.2 with the 3.1.2 firmware it says hold down the power for 3 seconds, the home and power for 10 seconds then hold the home for 30 seconds. All the toutorial videos they showed the screen going white. Mine does not go white. Do i just keep holding the home buttn to get the white screen?
    Last edited by nate54; 2010-04-05 at 06:11 AM.

Thanks

it should be black...if u turn the sound up on your pc you will the computer recognize the phone when on the 3rd step (holding power for 30 second) although I have never had to hold for the entire 30 second (usually around 10 - 20 seconds) just listen for the sounds of ur computer

12. The Following User Says Thank You to j3st3r For This Useful Post:

nate54 (2010-04-05)

Okay that is what i thought. Now it is stuck on waiting for reboot. Will this take some time my I phone is a MB model and it is a 3G. I have been working very hard at this and for two weeks i have failed miserably. I have tried Redsn0w 9.4,9.2; SnowbreeZe. my i tunes is on the 3.1.3 does that make a difference?

Thanks

have you tried a fresh 3.1.2 restore and then retried using redsn0w 0.9.2...i just jailbroke 2 3g's this afternoon in about 10 (for both) with no problems using redsn0w

I must be retarded or something

Nate I just jailbroke my friends 3g 16gb phone with the 3.1.3 os today with redsnow 9.2
    it took several times trying (it kept getting stuck at the boot ramdisk part) I tried a differnt USB port and wiggled the cable when it got stuck and it started loading again everytime it stopped it started again. It could be somthing as dumb as a bad cord.
    Try a differnt cord or computer even if you can

Also your phone needs to be off before starting the jailbreak
    Last edited by mindset11; 2010-04-05 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

@Nate54...if it gets stuck trying unpluging the cable and immediately plugging it back in...seems like i read somewhere where that helps...

So all I need is redsn0w 9.2 and the 3.1.2 firmware. That I'd the loophole in the os3.1.3?! Well try # 10,000 coming up