Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Sync Problem-itunes wants a restore/upgrade -

Default Sync Problem-itunes wants a restore/upgrade -
    I searched but couldn't come up with a similar situation - I apologize if this has been covered before.

Ok, this started with a dumb mistake on my part. Last night, I connected my iphone to sync my music/email etc... I accidentally closed my laptop when I left the room which put the computer to sleep mid-sync. Realizing what I had done I reopened it, but it was too late. The sync was interrupted. I dis/reconnected to try and sync which is when itunes popped up and said it could not read the contents, please restore/upgrade. Of course itunes wants to install 3.1.3 and kill my jailbreak.

Everything I could find regarding upgrade/downgrade had to do with a 3gs and the "make my life easier" - this never showed up in Cydia for me. I assume it is because I have a 3g and not a 3gs.

My phone operates fine, I just can't sync with itunes until I can find a solution.

iphone 3G 16GB MB704LL
    3.1.2 (7D11)
    blackra1n
    AT+T
    Win7
    iTunes 9.0.3.15

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

What is the error that it gives?
    Last edited by Cer0; 2010-03-13 at 01:28 AM.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

"itunes cannot read the contents of the iphone. Go to the Summary tab in iphone preferences and click restore to restore this iphone to the factory defaults."
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -itunes-error.png  

I may have gone the long way around the building on this one, but here's what I did.

The Shift+Restore wouldn't work, every time I clicked through it came up and said it was going to install 3.1.3. I think they took that option out of the newer version of itunes.

What I ended up doing was installing itunes 8.0 from oldversion.com ( I also had to install Quicktime 7.55). I installed it on my netbook so that I didn't have to mess with my apps/music/etc... on my main PC). Itunes 8.0 allowed me to shift+restore like I had done on a previous jailbreak/restore. My friend sent me a link (www.poorlad.com/icommnity/) that has a ton of old iphone OS firmware files available for download. After itunes 8.0 completed the firmware install I disconnected it and connected it to my main PC. It is currently restoring from the last sync I made before the screwup.

After this is done, I'll run Blackra1n again and get my smile back.
    Last edited by 71chevellejohn; 2010-03-13 at 12:22 PM.