Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Blackra1n=24kpwn. CustomFW=?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Blackra1n=24kpwn. CustomFW=?
    Hey,

Please forgive any redundancy in this topic.

I've been doing a ton of reading across 3 different forums to understand the relationship between the bootloader, the bootrom, the baseband, and the firmware on iDevices.

Recently, the 24kpwn exploit was rendered useless by the updating of the bootrom in new iPT3G's and iPhone 3GS's.

So blackra1n is out of the question for these select devices because it relies on the 24kpwn exploit during the rebooting of the device.

Am I right so far?

This leads me to my question.

Does the use of custom 3.1.2 .ipsw files rely at all on the 24kpwn exploit when the update/restore is done thru iTunes?

Because:

Since 3.1.2 is the latest firmware, Apple will verify it and allow the iPhone/iPT to continue restoring.

This would allow the baseband to be preserved and a completely new firmware with built in JB to be unpacked and flashed onto the device, bypassing the situation where DFU mode is needed or 24kpwn is facilitated.

Am I way the hell off? Hopeless when I buy my 3GS 2 weeks from now?

Give it to me straight, Doc.

Buuump?
    Last edited by never2hollywood; 2009-10-18 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life seann33uk's Avatar
    Thanks

i think you are ok to use a pwned or custom firmware on the new models.. however you won't be able to unlock. like i said i think.. however basic JBing using the forced through method won't work so anything like blackra1n, redsn0w.
    Being an i can be a lot of pressure. you have to live right up to the small point.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to seann33uk For This Useful Post:

never2hollywood (2009-10-18)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    True, understood. And thanks.

I won't feel completely bummed out when I start shelling $60 a month in November now haha.

And I thought we were hopeless =)

There have been reports of some 3GS iphones now coming with iBoot 359.3.2 which is not exploitable via 24kpwn. PwnageTool (custom firmware) uses 24kpwn exploit.

Buying a new 3GS will be a gamble whether you will be able to immediately jailbreak it depending on its bootrom version. The 05.11.07 baseband cannot be unlocked at this time.

I will tell you that i bought another 3GS from ATT 3 days ago and it came with 3.0.1 installed. I was happy.
    Bootrom thread:
    http://modmyi.com/forums/iphone-news...ailbreaks.html