I'm going to sound like a total noob and I did a lot of research before deciding to embarrass myself. The whole plan is to take a 2g iPhone downgrade it from 3.1.2 to 3.0. Jailbreak it. And then unlock it. I have downloaded the 3.0 ipsw and the 3.1.2 ipsw and I plugged in my phone in dfu mode. then i clicked alt and restore, selected my 3.0 ipsw and clicked restore, but it said error.(I've read on some websites to ignore this) so i went to pwnage tool and tried to jailbreak but when i selected the ipsw, it said wrong file, so i selected the 3.1.2 and it still said wrong ipsw.
Then, I started trying with redsn0w: i plugged in my phone, ignored the "ur phone is in dfu mode" message, opened redsnow and it said to select my CURRENT ipsw. I tried selecting both the 3.1.2 and the 3.0 and for both it said "cannot verify ipsw"
WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?????
I'm using a mac if that helps
I will be eternally grateful for help cause I gotta have this done by monday cause its not mine
(I was able to jailbreak my own iphone easily so its not that I'm ignorant of how to use the program?