Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: failed jailbreak = expensive paper weight? ARRGH!

Unhappy failed jailbreak = expensive paper weight? ARRGH!
    hi!

i'm new around here and decided to have my iphone jailbroken after reading up a bit on the different forums on modmyi.

to compress the story my guy(jailbreaker for hire) rendered my phone usless as of now. the screen says insert SIM with no PIN lock to activate iPhone and is only available for 911 calls which we don't have in m country. before the fiasco i was able to surf the net use most apps, now its a paper weight.

is this the end of my brand new device?

it's a 3gs 3.1 with 5.11.xx firmware.

jeez, anybody know what to do?

thanks in advance

if you depend on an unlock, than I'm afraid you won't be able to use the iphone as an actual phone anymore. you can still use it as an ipod though, by just creating a custom firmware and telling pwnagetool to activate the phone.

if you use an original sim that came with the iphone, you can just put that sim in and it will activate the phone and you can use it with that simcard

PS: it's not necessarily a failed jailbreak. your phone might as well be jailbroken, but that doesn't help you much if you need it activated and unlocked
    Last edited by BlackWolf; 2009-10-17 at 12:44 PM.

thanks black wolf.

what do you mean "if i depend on an unlock, then i won't be able to (use it as an actual phone anymore.")perhaps i know what you mean but just can't accept the fact that i can no longer use it as a phone anymore. is this correct? once i put in an at&t SIM and reactivate it won't there be at least a potential for a full recovery of all the iphone's features?

if not, AAAARGHHH!

p.s. thanks again

here's the deal:
    if you have an official iphone simcard, then everything is alright. put it in and enjoy.

if you do NOT have an official iphone simcard, than you're screwed. you can still use the iphone, but you can only use everything that doesn't need a simcard (phone, texting, mobile internet, ...).

BlackWolf is correct but you have given us very little to go on.
    If the phone is locked to AT&T and that is who you want to use it with then all you have to do is restore in iTunes and the phone will work.
    If you then want to JB just run BlackRa1n and it will be JB
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Chai t View Post
    thanks black wolf.

what do you mean "if i depend on an unlock, then i won't be able to (use it as an actual phone anymore.")perhaps i know what you mean but just can't accept the fact that i can no longer use it as a phone anymore. is this correct? once i put in an at&t SIM and reactivate it won't there be at least a potential for a full recovery of all the iphone's features?

if not, AAAARGHHH!

p.s. thanks again
    If you have an AT&T sim, why wouldn't you be able to put it in and activate it with iTunes? Shouldn't be a problem. The new baseband only works for contracted customers.
    Last edited by Caligula; 2009-10-17 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

i was sent the unit from the u.s.(i'm from the philippines) without the sim. the person who sent it thought it could be jailbroken and unlocked here as many of her friends have tried and succeeded. the thing was all those friends had 3g units and i have 3gs 3.1 with firmware 5.11.**

my question now is will only the sim that the unit came with originally work? could a possible work-around be getting any available at&t sim to restore it ti its iTouch status?

Quote Originally Posted by Chai t View Post
    i was sent the unit from the u.s.(i'm from the philippines) without the sim. the person who sent it thought it could be jailbroken and unlocked here as many of her friends have tried and succeeded. the thing was all those friends had 3g units and i have 3gs 3.1 with firmware 5.11.**

my question now is will only the sim that the unit came with originally work? could a possible work-around be getting any available at&t sim to restore it ti its iTouch status?
    well, if you're not living in the US, then you're screwed I guess, sorry. you can get the AT&T sim, but you could never use it since it would be way too expensive.

what you can do is: create a custom 3.1.2 firmware via pwnagetool (you need a mac or someone with a mac to do it), then restore to that firmware. if you tell pwnagetool to activate the phone you can at least use the phone as an ipod touch with camera.

PS: a 3G with 3.1 isn't unlockable as well. 3G/3GS phones can not be unlocked once they have been updated to official 3.1 or higher

An AT&T could be used just to activate it as well.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.