Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Dtunes torrenting

Default Dtunes torrenting
    Hey guys,

Thanks for being patient. I am a new iPhone user. I went from owning the cheapest phone money could buy to the 3gs about two months ago. Im in love with the phone. I am a very fast learner, I'm like a sponge I soak it all up pretty quickly. Through a minimal amount of research it was clear to be that I wanted to jailbreak. I literally knew nothing about it or the phone so I researched a little more. Currently, I have jailbroken my OS 3.1.2 firmware on my 3gs through blackra1n. I am a PC user. I have downloaded Cydia and Rock and find myself using the latter more often.

Here is my issue:
    I have downloaded dtunes and have begun to torrent a file. Upon completion of said file being downloaded, I could not find it in my dtunes. It took quite a while to download and all xxx/xxx/xxx numbers are equaled and it said it was completed. I must have typed something because I am now prompted this:

"Possible values are:
    stdout
    stderr
    off
    a filename

Enter a destination:
    Interactive output channel is now qw"

maybe I hit "qw"??

Also, I'm aware that dtunes states in it's information bar that all files are stored at "var/mobile/media/downloads" but I am unaware
    of how to locate this and was under the impression dtunes did it automatically. I fear I might have just messed up the download, which is unfortunate because it took 422 minutes even in wi-fi. If anyone has any idea what I might have done wrong, I'd be much obliged.

Mind you this is all from my mobile terminal.
    thank you for your patience and your help

Install OpenSSH on the phone & Win SCP on your computer and browse to that folder.

You will need to know the wifi IP address of the phone, login is "root" password is "alpine" (no quotes on either)

If you need more detailed instructions, google for something like iphone SSH access on windows or something along those lines

*edit*
    Found this guide real quick, it seems to be decent
    http://appadvice.com/appnn/2009/03/a...ers-jailbreak/
    Last edited by L00i3; 2009-10-16 at 05:02 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to L00i3 For This Useful Post:

Hunter3gs (2009-10-17)

Hey! My first response out of a few forums. THanks so much for the very informative link! I read the whole thing immediately and as soon as I get a chance I'm going to use it. I'm so new a lot
    is still confusing to me. So this "SSH" will get the avi file from my
    phone. But then, how do I watch the movie on my phone? Just do the obvious and import it from iTunes? I got dtunes because I was under he impression that I would be able to torrent and DL and then watch all on my phone

I don't have the app, but I looked at it in Cydia. It makes it sound like dtunes will play the files from within the app, and even convert avi files to mpeg4 to be compatible with the iphone. I am not sure why it didn't work that way for you, if the app description is accurate. But if all else fails, you can SSH to that folder, move the file to your computer, convert it to an iphone compatible format, then load through itunes and just watch it in the native video player on the phone. That is a lot of steps, but I imagine comverting would be faster on the computer has it has a lot more processing power & RAM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to L00i3 For This Useful Post:

Hunter3gs (2009-10-17)

You seem to have the best answers. So you have JB 3.1? Do you have any problems with battery life? Cab i downgrade to 3.1 or do you think eventually they will update somehow to where 3.1.2 does not have battery problems? Or hould I just try to delete everything I can using memtool? I'm afraid to do that though since I know so little

I have never had battery issues at 3.0, 3.0.1, 3.1, or 3.1.2

I don't remember if I asked you this already. Did you upgrade or restore to 3.1.2? If you restored, did you restore it from a backup, or set it up as a new phone? Apparently, restoring from backup is the main culprit on phones with battery issues from what I have read. If you are having issues, I would suggest as your first step to restore your phone & set it up as a new phone.

I've also never used MemTool, but it sounds like it does the same thing as the "Processes" button in SBSettings. It definitely doesn't hurt to kill unused processes or free up memory. If nothing else, it keeps the phone snappy. I don't know if it does anything for my battery, but I do the "free up memory" thing every now and then.

Here are some backup apps to save time coming back from a restore if you are interested.

Contacts / Calander - Sync w/itunes
    PkgBackup - get all your Cydia packages back (costs 2.49 I think, very worth it)
    AppBackup - Saves settings for official app store apps
    iTextUploader - allows you to backup and retrieve SMS messages, no support for MMS yet

you can also safely copy these folders to your computer and replace after a restore if you want

\var\mobile\Library\Call History
    \var\mobile\Library\Notes

Doing all that is about as close as you can get to restoring from a backup as you can get while actually setting up as a new phone.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to L00i3 For This Useful Post:

Hunter3gs (2009-10-17)

I did jailbreak with blackra1n and I did restore to 3.1.2
    not upgrade. And I did select restore
    as a new phone.

I am going to give these apps a try. How do I know which processes are not being used an therefore can be deleted?

Once I get the torrent file off my phone can I delete that torrent off my phone in ssh?

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter3gs View Post
    I am going to give these apps a try. How do I know which processes are not being used an therefore can be deleted?
    If you are not using an app that enables backround processes (such as backgrounder), nothing in the list should be being used. I never kill the Phone process though, unsure of what might happen, so I leave it alone.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to L00i3 For This Useful Post:

Hunter3gs (2009-10-17)

Ok, also I am in the process of trying to get ssh to work as we speak. I've already encountered a problem finding my phones IP. When I select my wifi network and choose the blue arrow, all of the fields are blank, ip included.

I went to ipchicken.com - is that going to be acceptable to use what that site is saying my ip is?
    Last edited by Hunter3gs; 2009-10-17 at 06:39 PM.

No, you need it's IP address within your network. That is strange that it's not showing up.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to L00i3 For This Useful Post:

Hunter3gs (2009-10-17)

Yeah, the ip field, subnet mask field, all of it is blank and I am connected. I got the ip address off my desktop from the same wifi network though.
    Last edited by Hunter3gs; 2009-10-17 at 06:59 PM.

Try logging into your router and see if you can see your iphone through there.

If you still can't get it, try installing afc2add from Cydia, then try using iPhoneBrowser
    Last edited by L00i3; 2009-10-17 at 07:08 PM.

I got it working. Not even sure how just put part of the ip
    I got off my computer manually into my iPhone and it just updated the rest. I'm
    in my file system now.

Now that I've located the avi file I wanted I'm trying to figure out what the best option is to get it on my phone. I guess I'll just copy it and put it in iTunes. I'd figure their should be a file that holds my iPods videos as well u could stick it in
    Last edited by Hunter3gs; 2009-10-17 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

You will have to convert it from .avi to an iPhone compatible format before putting it into iTunes. I use Free Video to iPhone Converter: iPhone Video Converter it seems to do the trick

I'm an idiot. I'm
    pretty sure the reason that the torrent would not open directly to my phone is I did not download an mp4 version.