Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Unlocking/Jailbreaking on locked iPhone 3GS ver. 3.1 not 3.1.2

Cool Unlocking/Jailbreaking on locked iPhone 3GS ver. 3.1 not 3.1.2
    So will this unlock a currently locked iphone version 3.1 3GS?(Dev Team's pwnage tool version 3.1.4). If so I'll need to find a friend who owns a Mac I guess. What about all that ECID SHSH stuff? Does that info need to be "captured" on saurik's server still? What is the difference between George Hotz and Dev Team's besides one being for Mac OS X and one for Windows? Is it that the Dev Team is an unlock and the blackra1n is a jailbreak? In reading the posts I gather that your phone has to be unlocked already for the pwnage tool to work and if you currently have a locked iphone this isn't going to work? If it's incapable of being unlocked is it still capable of being jailbroken? Please understand that I'm new to the iphone scene and if these questions seem dumb please grant me a little slack.
    Thanx.

You should be able to use blackra1n to jailbreak. No unlock possible. Your phone doesn't have to be unlocked to load a custom 3.1 firmware from PwnageTool, but it does have to be jailbroken already as far as I know.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to L00i3 For This Useful Post:

His Nibs (2009-10-15)

Ok I might not be fully explaining myself. I do understand that jailbreaking and unlocking are two different functions. So as long as I jailbreak using blackra1n then I can load custom firmware 3.1 from PwnageTool? I'm not sure I understand that, as from what I've read the PwnageTool is for unlocked phones so this tool would be useless to me because this version of firmware upgraded my baseband and currently there is no known exploit to unlock the SIM correct? Now I know George Hotz has released the blackra1n jailbreak but when I was reading online on another site they said the Dev Team had released PwnageTool 3.1.4 but all this will do is allow your iphone to remain unlocked provided you use a custom 3.1.2 firmware and the stipulation being the phone is already unlocked correct? Does anyone know if anyone is currently working on a SIM unlock for 3GS firmware 3.1 or higher? Or is that one of those things where you either got upgraded firmware accidentally from iTunes or you knew better and avoided it like the plague? Thanks for the earlier reply L00i3.
    Last edited by His Nibs; 2009-10-15 at 10:00 AM.

There is no unlock for a phone that either shipped with 3.1, or was upgraded to stock 3.1

the purpose of custom firmwares is that they load a pre-jailbroken firmware onto an already jailbroken phone, and they don't update your baseband. Both functions are useless to you with a stock 3.1. You have to jailbreak with blackra1n, then there is no real point in loading a custom 3.1 unless you prefer Dev Team tools over Geohot's tools. Really, the custom 3.1 applies to people that started out jailbroken at 3.0/3.0.1 and the unlockable baseband. As long as they maintained that setup, they could load a custom 3.1 & maintain their unlockable status. Then a custom 3.1.2 and still maintain unlockable status.

PwnageTool firmwares do not require you to be unlocked, just jailbroken. Apparently, PwnageTool 3.1.4 will even jailbreak a stock 3.1.2 Maybe I'll test that theory one of these days, if AppBackup ever gets made compatible with 3.1.2

Bottom line...If you are on stock/OTB 3.1 or 3.1.2, you will not be unlocking. Jailbreak with blackra1n. Done. Load custom 3.1 if you prefer Dev Team tools, otherwise there is no point in it.

I hope this at least came in the general vicinity of what you are looking for.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to L00i3 For This Useful Post:

His Nibs (2009-10-15)

Thanks L00i3 I went to Dev Teams blog and they did say that they are working on an unlock but a release date is unknown. I understand what it is you're explaining and I appreciate you taking the time to do so. I'm happy with a jailbreak right now as I have a great wireless plan and am not in any rush to have the phone unlocked right now. There has been a recent development here in Csnada where Rogers/Fido will no longer have exclusivity on the iPhone and two other carriers Bell & Telus will be introducing the iPhones on their networks and maybe down the road if their plans are more enticing than what I currently own maybe the unlock becomes a factor as it would enable me to leave my current provider and move to a new one with the ability to take my phone with me.