Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: I see people asking about custom firmware-what is it?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default I see people asking about custom firmware-what is it?
    I've read at least 3 posts today where people have or are requesting custom firmware - what is custom firmware and why would someone need it?

(I'm just asking the question bc I have no idea what it is and am now curious-I see it's some sort of "illegal/not allowed" action to post the firmware here but I still don't know what it is or what it's for..)

Firmware is the OS on the iphone. Modified means just that. Its been modified (by us, not Apple) to be jailbroken and include other things, for example can come preloaded with different apps, etc.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 956 Posts

And there only on macs so ppl that have windows get custom firmwares so they can upgrade probably without touching their baseband bc they want an unlock

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thank you both for your quick replies - so if someone wanted to use Blackra1n and not lose their ability to unlock they would need a custom firmware? Then they would upgrade their phone to 3.1.2 using the custom firmware and then JB it resulting in a JB phone with the ability to unlock?

Am I following you right?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 956 Posts

They would restore to a custom firmware that doesn't update their basebamd. Then bc custom ipsw already have cydia on them when u restore u just install ultrasn0w to unlock

Yeah a custom FW would already be jailbroken.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

OK so I get it now - I think... So if someone wanted to go to 3.1.2 but needed to stay unlocked, they would want a custom firmware that would update their phone? I keep thinking in my head that that can't be right because why would people bother upgrading and JB'ing then? There's got to be something more to this that I'm missing?

Sorry, I'm just asking because I really don't get it.

Its just another method of jailbreaking....its "cleaner" because it modifies a new FW file before it gets loaded, instead of "hacking" whats already on the phone.

And with a custom FW file, you can upgrade FW without upgrading your baseband, which is what you want to do for unlocking.

If you just upgrade through itunes to a stock Apple FW then it will automatically upgrade your baseband.

The people jailbreaking with blackra1n are not getting an unlock in the deal. Blackra1n is for people that either have 3.1 or 3.1.2 OTB (unlockable from the start) or like me, on an official carrier so just upgraded to stock 3.1.2, then re-jailbreak.