Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Just jailbroke 3.1.2 3GS. A couple questions

Default Just jailbroke 3.1.2 3GS. A couple questions
    Ok After a few small problems I got my 3GS that was on 3.1.2 jailbroken using PwnageTool.

I used this thread to do the following:
    1. I got my ECID
    2. I got my ECID SHSH using Umbrella
    3. I setup TinyTSS
    4. changed my host file to 127.0.0.1 for gs.apple.com
    5. then restored the IPSW that Pwnage created

Ok now.

1. Can I remove the loopback from the etc/host file now? (127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com) or leave it?
    2. I take it i have a copy of my ecid shsh file for future use. do i need to do it in Cydia as well?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brianmedia View Post
    1. Can I remove the loopback from the etc/host file now? (127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com) or leave it?
    2. I take it i have a copy of my ecid shsh file for future use. do i need to do it in Cydia as well?

Thanks
    1. Modify the loopback to 74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com if you chose the "Make my life easier" option via Cydia. That will point it at Saurik's servers (Cydia) and will allow you to downgrade if necessary to whatever version it says it has an "This device has a x.x ECID SHSH on file" for.

2. I would suggest having Cydia "make my life easier". Better to have the info stored in one place. The ECID SHSH blobs stored on your local machine are a good backup and at this point can only be used with TinyTSS to do your downgrades. I guess it just depends on personal preference and which process you like better for doing your downgrades.
    Last edited by nikozen; 2009-10-14 at 03:12 PM. Reason: added in ip address

Quote Originally Posted by nikozen View Post
    1. Keep the loopback. It will allow you to downgrade if necessary, as long as you have your ECID SHSH stored via Cydia.

2. Yes have Cydia "make my life easier". Those ECID SHSH blobs stored on your local machine are no good to you unless someone comes out with a program that allows you to do something with them.
    1. Wrong. that loopback allows you to downgrade from your own machine, not Cydia. The only time it should ever affect you if you leave it there, is when your computer tries to contact gs.apple.com

2. Wrong. The 3.1/3.1.2 ECID SHSH blobs stored on the local machine are only useless until Apple stops signing them. There is already a tool to use them. It's called TinyTSS, which the OP mentioned using.

OP, if you used a custom 3.1.2 ipsw, you didn't have to go through all that mess tho. The signature checking is bypassed by the custom firmware. At least when I loaded my custom 3.1, I never saw it try to "verify restore" with Apple even once during the process.

Thanks for correcting me L00i3. I hit the submit reply before I had verified my post.

Thanks for the replies..

So should I leave the loopback in the etc/host file? or just delete it. Does it matter if it goes to Apple to check now that Have it jailbroke and did the "make my life easier" from Cydia?