Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: SSH into iphone through 3G/EDGE

Default SSH into iphone through 3G/EDGE
    Hi everyone,

Is it possible to ssh into iphone while it is connected to the carrier data plan (3G/EDGE) only (not connected to wifi)??, I tried a lot and never succeeded.

ssh into iphone while connected to wifi from a PC on the same network is working perfectly.

Appreciate your help.

In order to even have a *chance* of working, you would probably have to have one of them wireless cards from the phone company plugged into your computer. Even then, if it was possible, I imagine it would probably not be as straightforward as wifi.

I have no way of testing my theory, but my gut feeling says no. Hopefully I can be proven wrong though.

I tried the following scenarios:

pc on wifi --> iphone on wifi : working fine (same network)
    pc on wifi --> iphone on 3g/edge : not work
    pc on 3g/edge --> iphone on wifi with router port mapping) : not working
    pc on 3g/edge --> iphone on 3g/edge : not working

ssh standard port 22 seems to be blocked by the ISP firewall, i changed the iphone sshd_config port setting after scanning the open ports to 8900, 3128, 8080, ..etc, without any luck.

does the iphone have a built in firewall or similar that prevents any device from a different network to initiate an incoming connection to the iphone??

iPhone? More like MyPhone s4mb4's Avatar
    Thanks

i know i can't because the iPhone on AT&T is nat'd.
    from whatsmyip.net i get a 166.205 addy, but my iPhone shows a wan addy of 10.180...
    unless AT&T allows port forwarding of 22, then it will never be possible.

I set up VPN to connect through 3G to my local network, I didn't try to SSH. I'll try that tonight.