Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: SSH into 3.1.2 3GS ( jb w/ blackra1n )

Default SSH into 3.1.2 3GS ( jb w/ blackra1n )
    Ok, so prior to 3.1.2 I was able to ssh to my phone. No problems. yay.

GeoHot releases blackra1n, so I update to 3.1.2, jailbreak and restore from backup. My phone is running smoothly. I install notifier, winterboard, backgrounder and OpenSSH.

I go to connect to my iPhone and....nothing. It times out. Hum. I check the IP address, I check to make sure my iPhone didn't ninja onto someone elses wireless network, I make sure that the username and password were correct.

I'm kind of at a loss now. I know OpenSSH is installed and has be reinstalled a few times at this point. I installed the terminal app to verify that I hadn't changed the password, it's still the default.

The only change I've made on my PC side since my last SSH connection is I went fully wireless, maybe that's an issue and I need to tweak my wireless settings, I don't know. Any one have any ideas?

I've tried using WinSCP and Putty both with the same network timeout errors.

Thanks in advance

I hate being the only one to reply to my thread, but I have some more info, though no solution yet.

So I moved recently, and my wireless router is now not in the same room as my computer ( it was prior to my move ), so I purchased a Linksys WMP54GS. If I try to connect to my iPhone using this wireless connection, I just get a time out. It's like the NIC is blocking the request.

I also have a dlink wired NIC. I decided to bring my router into my office and give it a try. Low and behold, first try, I was SSH'd into my phone without issue. I'm pretty stumped here. If anyone has any ideas I'd be grateful.
    Last edited by big9erfan; 2009-10-14 at 05:20 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

That linksys is a nightmare to program. It rejects everything. You need to open a port to SSH through.
    Last edited by cpjr; 2009-10-14 at 06:11 AM.

Here's what I've gotten so far:
    - computer on Wireless ( linksys nic )
    - iPhone on Wireless ( duh )
    = NO CONNECTION - Timeout

- computer wired ( dlink nic )
    = Connects just fine

If I use something like DiskAid it also works just fine. I'm at a loss and considering looking for a new wireless nic.

Here's what I've gotten so far:
    - computer on Wireless ( linksys nic )
    = NO CONNECTION - Timeout

- computer wired ( dlink nic )
    = Connects just fine

If I use something like DiskAid it also works just fine. I'm at a loss and considering looking for a new wireless nic.
    Last edited by big9erfan; 2009-10-14 at 06:22 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Youe computer & iPhone aren't IP conflicting are they (trying to use the same IP address)? If it were me, I would try going into the router settings, and reserving them each their own IP address effective forever.

I wish it were that easy. I have both my computer and iPhone set to static IP addresses, 192.168.1.25 and 192.168.1.50, DHCP on my router starts assigning IPs at 100, so there's no conflict involved. Thanks for trying.

Can a mod edit this to remove blackra1n from the subject? After testing I've found that SSH works, just not with that specific wireless card. I'll be testing a few more wireless cards tonight.

And I figured it out:

Hidden deep in settings the Linksys router has something called "AP Isolation" that is defaulted to ON.

This is the description of the setting:
    Creates a separate virtual network for your wireless network. When this feature is enabled, each of your wireless client will be in its own virtual network and will not be able to communicate with each other. You may want to utilize this feature if you have many guests that frequent your wireless network.
    I turn that off and I can SSH just fine. UGH. This has been so f'n painful
    Last edited by big9erfan; 2009-10-15 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Peace, I am having the same issue. There may need to be an update to the Afp & SSH apps for 3.1.2 or I may have to restore and try with Pwnage. blaaahh to restoring my phone! I am also unable to use 3G Unrestrictor and Slingmedia. My only reason for JB! Blackra1n is a wonderful JB. We sure have come along way from the first fw 1.0.2 JB

Just like that! I open up my laptop tonight to see my iphone is listed in Shared, I am able to afp & ssh. Funny part is my iphone is sleep on the charger.