Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Gotcha's to know before Jailbreaking?

Question Gotcha's to know before Jailbreaking?
    I'm looking at finally Jail breaking my IPhone 3GS. Are there any gotchas that I should know about before hand that could potentially cause me problems, such as a bricked phone or a phone that wouldn't be updatable?

For example, let's say I JB the phone, and iTunes wants to install new software. Will installing it hose my phone? Or will it simply mean I have to JB again?

I see another poster here (http://modmyi.com/forums/general/687...jailbreak.html) talking about some ECID SHSH file - if said file goes missing could that cause problems for me?

Also will it still sync normally using iTunes?

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

Welcome to MMi. Never install a new update when it releases if you want to keep JB. Wait till a team releases a JB. Also take a look at this article Caching Apple's Signature Server - Jay Freeman (saurik) and add the route to your Hosts file so your SHSH saved on Saurik's server in case you need to downgrade in the future. Installing a update from Apple will not break your phone but you will lose the JB. Everything syncs perfectly fine with iTunes.