Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: can i jailbreak and unlock my iphone 3gs??

Question can i jailbreak and unlock my iphone 3gs??
    i have just bought a used iphone 3gs 32gb running firmware 3.1. the iphone was originally bought by its first owner at an apple store in london in july so presumably ran 3.0.1 and is locked to o2 (still). i run windows xp. my question is can i jailbreak and unlock this phone to run it on a different uk phone network yet? i am pretty sure it has always been locked to o2.
    i think i may have bought in haste as it seemed possible or even easy to jailbreak and unlock from what i read on the web, but having read more closely i am now worried it is not actually possible (yet?). i don't want to risk terminally damaging it. any advice would be much appreciated, thanks!
    sky.

If it's been upgraded to 3.1 and has BB 05.11.07 you can JB using BlackRa1n but you can't unlock.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to confucious For This Useful Post:

skywatcher (2009-10-14)

how can i tell if the phone has BB 05.11.07? and do you know if there may be anything in the offing in the near future to unlock the 3gs? i am trying to work out whether to hang on and hope or get rid of it. thanks for your help.
    sky

go to setting, general, about, you'll see it. Dev team is working on unlocking BB(moderm firmware) 05.11.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to phongthan999 For This Useful Post:

skywatcher (2009-10-14)

thanks confucius and phongthang. yes i have 05.11.07 (sounds like fireworks night two years ago??) so i think i will wait a week or so and see if dev team announce anything. am i right that blackrain works w windows xp? and also can anyone tell me if there is any risk to jb'ing w blackrain - eg if all else failed cld i still reset to 3.1 to re-sell without damaging phone?
    on another question - am i waiting for a soft unlock such as ultrasnow? i the phone is locked to o2 and i want to unlock so i can put my virgin sim in it. i am guessing here that if an unlock comes along then i would be able to do that.
    thanks again,
    sky