Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Protecting my 3.1.2 3gs Jailbreak

Default Protecting my 3.1.2 3gs Jailbreak
    I just jailbroke my 3.1.2 3gs last night. Wow! Took 30 seconds and one mouse click. GeoHot is a genius!

My question is about protecting my JB in case something goes wrong and I need to restore via iTunes. I installed Cydia. Does this automatically store my info on Saurik's server? Will I always be able to downgrade to 3.1.2 and JB once Apple moves on to another update?

What should I do to project my JB?

i would also like to know the answer to this

I still see my iPhone 3GS has a 3.0 ECID SHSH on file at Cydia's home page after it had jailbroken on firmware 3.1.2.

Cheers~~~

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

I don't understand. You have a jailbreak that doesn't require anything to be on file with anyone. If something goes wrong restore to 3.1.2 and re-run blackra1n. What needs protecting? The general rule is when a NEW firmware comes out DON'T upgrade or restore until it's safe.

I believe what is he trying to say is

what if the jailbroken iPhone 3GS 3.1.2 got problem and can't restore back to the same firmware (3.1.2) when there is a new firmware that iTunes force to update.

Cheers~~~

What if Apple updates to 3.2 firmware and no longer signs 3.1.2? If I need to restore, will I be able to do so at 3.1.2 or will I be forced to upgrade to 3.2?

I fear the situation that many have been in for the last month. Stuck at 3.1 and unable to JB.

Or am I confusing intentional downgrading, with restoring?

Could someone with a non-jailbroken 3gs @ 3.0 restore their phone today at 3.0 or would they be forced to upgrade to 3.1.2?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

If that's the case you have no protection at the moment unless Cydia stores your ECID for 3.1.2 and you point your iTunes to saurik's server.

Hi Jaygray,

Did you see any ECID SHSH on your Cydia's home page?

Yes, it says, "This device has a 3.1 ECID SHSH on file."

Then, you should be able to downgrade your iPhone to firmware 3.1 at least.

Cheers~~~

11. The Following User Says Thank You to alvink83 For This Useful Post:

Jaygray (2009-10-12)

Wow thanks for this thread.

Now I can chillax haha

My 3gs was jailbroken on 3.0 before i updated it, i had my ssh store on Cydia file but i was never able to downgrade from 3.1 to 3.0 even when i tryed every post on How to do it that i found on the web!
    So as far as Jaygray's question is, the answer is you are force to upgrade to the new firmware.
    The diference about storing your ssh on cydia's file is that if you do so you'll be able to jailbreak future itunes updates, if you don't store it.. Well you'll be out of luck!

I'm a n00b, so I don't even know how to point my itunes to saurik's server, but I have a 3.0 ECID SHSH on file. Is it possible to get these files so I have them backed up as well? My other question, since this is the first time I may be doing an upgrade and re-jailbreaking. Is it like starting from scratch all over with a new phone once I'm done, or will a sync restore all my installed apps?

Jailbreaking via Blackra1n does not remove your apps from the phone. They will still be there after the JB.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I saved my SHSH files with Firmware Umbrella. I have these files stored locally for 3.1 and 3.1.2 3GS OS. Is Cydia storing 3.1.2 yet??? I never backed up files before with Cydia. It says I have pending storage.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaygray View Post
    Jailbreaking via Blackra1n does not remove your apps from the phone. They will still be there after the JB.
    Thanks, but what I should have spelled out is that I currently have a purplera1n JBed 3.0 phone. When I upgrade to 3.1.2, will I still have my apps, and then if I JB again with blackra1n, will they still be there? What happens to winterboard and sbsettings, etc that are installed during that process?