Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: BlackRa1n

Default BlackRa1n
    Hi there guys just signed up onto this site been reading in the background for a few months. Just a few questions;

I have a Iphone 3GS and am planning on jailbreaking tonight, i am a mac only user and as i understand it i need to use Blackra1n on a windows pc. I am in the uk and am on the original carrier O2 which i am not planning on changing as i am happy with them. So i update in itunes on my mac as usual to 3.1.02 and backup then jailbreak on my mates pc. This will then mean i can install cydia and uninstall blackra1n and have all my previous data on as normal. This baseband change will make no other difference other than locking me to O2??

My friend has just bought a Iphone 3G and has now found out that it is "blocked" not locked, so what i mean by this is that O2 the original carrier has blocked all incoming and outgoing signals from the phone. I had a talk with my Auntie who quite conveniently works for O2 and said this only happens when the phone is lost or stolen, she said for him to leave it off or in airplane mode for 10 weeks (approx) and O2 will no longer have a block on the phone(due to no longer being monitored) What my question is if he updates on itunes will this "baseband" change the fact that it is "blocked" and will it be able to work straight away or will he still have to keep it off for the 10 week period?

Sorry if these seem like stupid questions but as you can see i am new to all of this, and it could quite easily F*@K things up if i dont get all the info first.

Cheers for any help in advance

Lloyd

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    The blocks work by IMEI number which you cannot change, and if you do it is highley illegal.

I doubt it will start working after 10weeks, otherwise what would be the point in blocking it??

Thats kinda what i thought, this is why im a little confused, has he just bought a phone that is now deemed completely useless?? or even just a ipod touch? Thanks for the reply though

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Yep hes pretty much got an ipod touch now

He *may* be able to unlock it and use it on a different network, but I think these days the IMEI gets blocked across all networks in the UK

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bennyg For This Useful Post:

oOLLOYDOSOo (2009-10-12)

Yea we tried unlocking and placing another sim inside and same happens, ill let him know the bad news and i guess he may as well try the airplane mode "trick" as he has nothing to loose.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Best bet is to sell it to another country, and then buy another with the cash raised

All the data on my 3gs was synced with my Mac. I jailbroke it using a friends PC. You may have to have iTunes installed on the PC (not sure about this), but it does not matter that the 3gs is not synced with the PC's iTunes.

Plug the 3gs into the PC and run blackra1n. It does it's thing for about 30 seconds and the phone reboots. All your music, contacts, apps, etc are unaffected. At this point you can unplug and use it as normal. Blackra1n appears as a new app on the phone. Run the Blackra1n app on the phone and it has an option to install Cydia.

Afterwards, I resynced with my Mac iTunes although I don't know that this is necessary. Blackra1n, Cydia, and the PdaNet app I installed appear to be invisible to iTunes. They do not show up in your iTunes library.

Hope this helps!

thats great cheers jay im currently in the process of doing this to my iphone on my mates computer. i have now successfully done it on my mates 3g and that is now working v3.1.2 and instead of saying no service it now says waiting for authorization, and now works on 3g internet... so who knows it may work now
    Last edited by oOLLOYDOSOo; 2009-10-12 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost