Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Need help to 3.1.2

Default Need help to 3.1.2
    Hey there, time for n00b questions.

QUESTION 1.
    I have a jailbroken iphone 3.0.1 and want to update the software to the newest 3.1.2, BUT I want to keep my current theme/icons/everything i've downloaded from cydia. How does one update their phone without having to RE download everything?
    Should I copy files using WinSCP?

QUESTION 2.
    After reading
    HTML Code:
    http://modmyi.com/forums/iphone-news/687811-blackra1n-released-jailbreak-3-1-2-all-devices.html
    I realized i have no idea what "baseband", what the difference between "unlock" and "jailbreaking" is :S

Anyway...please help!

1) yeah, you would have to download a lot of things. but I think it's way faster to just re-install everything after you jailbroke. also, there are backup solutions like AptBackup, but I don't know how well they work

2) unlock means getting rid of the simlock, so you can use any sim not only sim-cards from the carrier the iphone was bought from. jailbreaking means open up the device for third party apps. basically, for the user, it means that cydia appears on your iphone ^^

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackWolf For This Useful Post:

Spenny (2009-10-11)

thanks so much!

Now for another problem,and I know a lot of people are experiencing it. Blackra1n isn't working for me :S
    It put my iphone into recovery then...nothing. I've had to do 3 full restores :'(.
    Can anyone shed some light?