Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Safe to update AT&T carrier setting? 3GS 3.1 Custom.

Question Safe to update AT&T carrier setting? 3GS 3.1 Custom.
    What up fellas! I'm on a 3.1 jailbroken 3GS. Now 3.1.2 is available. Obviously I'm not gonna update to that yet, but there is also another carrier update from AT&T as well (not the MMS one). Is it safe to update my carrier settings without screwing up my JB or tethering or anything? Thanks!

if you upgrade now, you WILL lose your jailbreak. Geohot is coming out with a jailbreak very soon, but not 100% on the 3.1.2, so i would wait until he is put it out before you do anything.

Carrier updates DO NOT do ANYTHING with the firmware, and you WILL NOT lose your jailbreak. Tethering, on the other hand, will most likely go bye-bye. From what I understand though, you can get PdaNet from Cydia to have tethering abilities if you lose them from updating the carrier settings.

I don't use or need tethering, so I can't speak with authority about the effectiveness of PdaNet. Or the effects on stock tethering by updating to a new carrier setting.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to L00i3 For This Useful Post:

DJ Hellfire (2009-10-11)

My mistake, L00i3 is right, carrier settings are ok, just not your firmware. I used PDAnet for a long time and it works great. Im waiting on geohot right now to spit out 3gs j/b. I misread this post due to the fact that im delerious and cant wait for jb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by L00i3 View Post
    Carrier updates DO NOT do ANYTHING with the firmware, and you WILL NOT lose your jailbreak. Tethering, on the other hand, will most likely go bye-bye. From what I understand though, you can get PdaNet from Cydia to have tethering abilities if you lose them from updating the carrier settings.

I don't use or need tethering, so I can't speak with authority about the effectiveness of PdaNet. Or the effects on stock tethering by updating to a new carrier setting.

Actually, I am using PDANet. It works fine. Just wanted to make sure the carrier setting won't block anything! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by visubversa View Post
    My mistake, L00i3 is right, carrier settings are ok, just not your firmware. I used PDAnet for a long time and it works great. Im waiting on geohot right now to spit out 3gs j/b. I misread this post due to the fact that im delerious and cant wait for jb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why don't you just use the 3.1 JB for now?