Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3G, Version 3.0, iTunes: An Unknown Error occurred [23]

Default 3G, Version 3.0, iTunes: An Unknown Error occurred [23]
    Hello All, thanks for the great forum and information.

I am encountering "An unknown error occurred [23] whenever I try to restore using iTunes. Here's some history, and what I have tried.

History:
    1. I received a used, jailbroke, unlocked 3g with 3.0 firmware that would not hold a continuous T-Mobile signal, although a duplicate phone sitting next to it had no problems.

2. Restored the phone using a iPhone1,2_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw file from MegaUpload, as advised by the person that I got the phone from.

3. Upon reboot it told me I had an invalid SIM, and would let me make emergency calls.

4. Ran Redsn0w 0.72 to jailbreak the phone and put Cydia on it. Rebooted afterwards and all looked good, except I had no wireless or bluetooth capability, it was greyed out and the modem version info and mac for the bluetooth were blank.

5. Downloaded and restored the .ipsw from here, and then ran Redsn0w to jailbreak it.

6. After the reboot, I slid to unlock, and the only applications on the phone were the search function and Cydia. When I run Cydia, the screen goes blank and then returns, the app does not appear to launch. Thinking the jailbreak or restore had failed, I tried it again. This is where iTunes started coming up with the error.

Things I've tried, with no result.

1. iTunes version 8.2.0.23 and 9.0.1.
    2. DFU and recovery mode.
    3. Three .ipsw files from different locations.
    4. Accepting the 3.1 upgrade through iTunes.
    5. Reloading my laptop to ensure no Apple software was present and then reloading iTunes.
    6. Logging on as a different user.
    7. Using a totally different workstation.
    8. Using different USB ports.

Workstation information: AMD Athlon 4000+ Processor, 2gb RAM, 200gb available HDD, GeForce 9400gt graphics, Windows XP.

The phone boots properly, and presents the slide to power off prompt when asked.

I freely admit I don't have enough experience with these, but I'm working on that. Any assistance in solving my problem, or pointing me in the right direction, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Walker

My iPhone is a Part of Me mkblade's Avatar
    Thanks

Alright let's try this one step at a time…what's your current fw and are u currently jailbroken?

If your on firmware 3.0./3.0.1 and the iPhone is jailbroken, then download the following listed items: iTunes 8.2, redsnow .8, QuickPwn 2.2.1, custom 3.1 firmware

If your on 3.1 already and it's not jailbroken, then you will need to downgrade first to the previous fw

Thanks mkblade,

The phone was on 3.0 when I received it, and it was jailbroke and unlocked. The T-Mobile signal would go full bars, and then back to nothing (searching), and cycle through this. 3.0 was what I loaded to try to correct the problem.

Here is a link to the only screen I see (other than the search screen) after I slide to unlock.
    iPhone Error

And a link to the error I receive from iTunes when I try to restore;
    iTunes Error

- iTunes 8.2 has been downloaded and installed.
    - redsnow .8 and QuickPwn 2.2.1 are downloaded
    - Custom 3.1 firmware downloaded.

Where to from here?

Thanks for the help....

Walker

Quote Originally Posted by mkblade View Post
    Alright let's try this one step at a time…what's your current fw and are u currently jailbroken?

If your on firmware 3.0./3.0.1 and the iPhone is jailbroken, then download the following listed items: iTunes 8.2, redsnow .8, QuickPwn 2.2.1, custom 3.1 firmware

If your on 3.1 already and it's not jailbroken, then you will need to downgrade first to the previous fw

Quote Originally Posted by pstwalker View Post

Things I've tried, with no result.

4. Accepting the 3.1 upgrade through iTunes.
    Oooh, NEVER do that if you rely on an unlock. If it failed, you may still be in luck for an unlock. But if the 3.1 stock restore was successful, your baseband was updated, and the unlock is no longer possible.

since you didn't specify exactly what went wrong with it (upgrade failed, or upgrade successful with no T-Mobile service) if it was upgrade successful with no T-Mobile service, then you are not unlocking that phone for T-Mobile anytime soon.

It wouldn't even load... I got the error 23 before it got anywhere... I hope...

WAlker

Quote Originally Posted by L00i3 View Post
    Oooh, NEVER do that if you rely on an unlock. If it failed, you may still be in luck for an unlock. But if the 3.1 stock restore was successful, your baseband was updated, and the unlock is no longer possible.

since you didn't specify exactly what went wrong with it (upgrade failed, or upgrade successful with no T-Mobile service) if it was upgrade successful with no T-Mobile service, then you are not unlocking that phone for T-Mobile anytime soon.