Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Advice Needed on 3GS 3.0.1 Firmware

Default Advice Needed on 3GS 3.0.1 Firmware
    Hi, I would like some advice before I attempt to Jailbreak and unlock an iphone 3GS that came pre installed with 3.0.1 firmware, using reds0w and ultrsn0w. I have downloaded both the 3.0 ipsw and the 3.0.1 ipsw.
    Assuming that I successfully manage to Jailbreak the phone and hopefully I donít have the problems that various people have mentioned regarding loss of Wifi, loss of 3G signal, youtube not working ....However if I do encounter problems , and HERE is my question can I restore to 3.0.1 or 3.0 in DFU mode or any other mode? If so how do I go about doing that? I want to try to cover all angles before attempting it, as I donít want to render the iphone useless! Any advice would be highly appreciated...

Lol...anyone?
    Last edited by rascal26; 2009-10-09 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Nope. no going back to 3.0 or 3.0.1 for you. Better get it right, if you don't, kiss your unlocking abilities bye-bye.

Oh, and if you are unlocking it to work with t-mobile in the US, you have to turn off 3G anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by L00i3 View Post
    Nope. no going back to 3.0 or 3.0.1 for you. Better get it right, if you don't, kiss your unlocking abilities bye-bye.

Oh, and if you are unlocking it to work with t-mobile in the US, you have to turn off 3G anyway.
    Yep what L00i3 said. The reason there is no going back is Apple is no longer signing the files that allow you to downgrade your firmware. If your phone exhibits any of those issues, it's not your fault, and you want to get them working again you will be forced to upgrade to at least 3.1 possibly 3.1.2. When that happens it updates your baseband and I as of right now I don't believe any of the outrageously smart groups have figured out how to unlock it. It sounds like in a few days you will be able to JB 3.1 and 3.1.2 but you won't be able to use UltraSn0w to unlock it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to nikozen For This Useful Post:

rascal26 (2009-10-09)

Thanks for that, the phone came locked to 02 in the UK. I want to use the tethering feature, and apparently the 3.0.1 is the best firmware for that. I hope I can get it right first time!

Honestly I had no problems when I Jail Broke my phone. I'm on a windows box so I used PurpleRa1n then RedSn0w and both worked beautifully. I didn't experience any of the problems on 3.0.1 nor on 3.1. Good luck with the JB mate!