Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Can't upgrade jailbroken 2.2.1 to 3.0?

Default Can't upgrade jailbroken 2.2.1 to 3.0?
    I've got several hours into this this morning, and it's getting crazy frustrating.

I've got an iPhone 3G, 2.2.1, jailbroken right after I got it.

I wanted to enable tethering by going to 3.0firmware, so I put the phone in dfu mode, and shift-restored the apple 3.0 ipsw. every time i try this, i end up with a picture of steve jobs saying something in russian, and i have to restart the phone with quickpwn running to make it usable again. i've tried restoring to 3.0, 3.0.1, 3.1 (update thru itunes), and 2.2.1, and i keep getting the same thing. it always ends with an "unkown error (13)".

anyone have any pointers?

thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Mac or PC? Please confirm that when you are in "DFU" mode that your screen is completely black when you hit the restore button.

PC. Screen is black, no pineapple/stevejobs/apple logo. Nothing.

Also - since I'm trying again, when doing a full download/update to 3.1, I'm left hanging with the Apple logo on the iPhone's screen when I get the error 13.
    Last edited by jh0n; 2009-10-08 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Tried re-booting your PC? A different cable or USB slot? What version of iTunes are you running?

Rebooted, and different USB ports. Don't have another cable here, but I've used this one to sync repeatedly. I won't fully discount it, but I've got sort of a hard time with that one. I've gone frontside/rear usb ports, disconnected everything else, etc. I'm using iTunes 8.2.0.23. I tried this earlier under the latest version, and then read somewhere else to downgrade to 8.2. Rebooted after uninstall, and again after different version installation - tried to keep it as clean as possible.

Thanks for your attention.

Thanks

3.0+ requires iTunes 9.0+