Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Total noob question

Green Apple
    Thanks

Question Total noob question
    Ok, this question is totally going to reveal the fact that I don't know much. Hope I don't offend the iGods. So im running 3.0.1 and I've got the iPhone 3gs. I did the JB using redsnow on Windows XP about a month ago (and I'm loving it). When i log into cydia i get the message "this device has a 3.0...". Now, i'd like to update to 3.1 sooner or later but I'm in no major rush. Does having shsh on file with saurik help me at all with this? Secondly, in your opinion, what is my best option to upgrade to 3.1 without losing my JB and my apps? Should i wait for snowbreeze, geohot, or what?

Can someone school me on this please?

YOU HAZ OFFENDED TEH IgODS!!

Lol just playin.

The whole '3.0 ECID SHSH on file' is good, it means that you can restore (with a small mod to your pc/mac) to 3.0. As far as the update goes, wait. Geohot should have his solution out within a few days. I believe there is AptBackup in Cydia, that will not actually backup apps but creates a list of what was installed. That would be your next best solution. I'd also recommend backing up your winterboard themes, if any are custom.

ATM, the best thing to do is wait. Trust me, as soon as there is a GOOD jailbreak out, it will be front page news. Let the n00bs test it out first though ;-)
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream!

Green Apple
    Thanks

thanks for the input. so with geohot you think ill have to let itunes update to 3.1 (thus killing my JB) and THEN JB again with whatever geohot comes up with?

thanks again.

Nooooooo wait for Geohot you waited this long, wait he"ll have it out in a few hours !!!!!!

Green Apple
    Thanks

i'm not gonna do it NOW. I was just wondering if u thought when he DOES come out with something that ill have to let itunes do its thing b4 using geohot's solution. just curious.

thanx for your emphasis though. lets me know u care about the noob's!

i'm not gonna do it NOW. I was just wondering if u thought when he DOES come out with something that ill have to let itunes do its thing b4 using geohot's solution. just curious.

thanx for your emphasis though. lets me know u care about the noob's! :-)
    Last edited by pathtologos; 2009-10-07 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost