Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3GS Jailbreak Help

Question 3GS Jailbreak Help
    I need help jailbreaking my 3GS. I'm new to the world of jailbreaking. I am still running 3.0.1. There is a lot of information to process and I don't understand it. I've read that I need to capture some signature or something to be able to jailbreak in the future? I read on the dev team's blog that the new pwnage tool is only for MAC...is there a way to jailbreak on the PC? Please tell me how to get from 3.0.1 non jailbroken to 3.1 JB. I would really appreciate it. Talk to me as if I'm retarded please.

Thanks

Don't worry about capturing those file, it's too late for 3.0 anyway.
    You probably need to just jailbreak now and not upgrade to 3.1 just yet.

Follow these instructions:
    iClarified - iPhone - How to Jailbreak Your iPhone 3GS on OS 3.0.x Using RedSn0w (Windows)

Well if I could get ahold of a MAC, I could do it?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Redsn0w is for Mac and Windows.

Thanks

It says "For Windows" in the title...

Redsn0w is only for 3.0 though .

Thanks

Read the instructions.
    Download 3.0 firmware and point to that file during the process.

But then are you really running 3.1 firmware?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    hey everyone i have a new awesome (if it were jailbroken) 3gs ootb 3.1fw YAY

i am looking for a way to jailbreak this device i have alot of experience and i have my old 3g witch i gave to my gf and its running cleanly on 3.1 jb fw. but here's the thing i have access to a mac so i made a nice little ipsw with pwnagetool 3.1.3 and it looks great but the problem is i cant get itunes to install this nice ipsw over the one that is currently on my phone i dont care about unlocking cuz i have all i need from my carrier i just want to jb. i have my 3.1 blob that i captured with umbrella when i did a restore with a real 3.1 ipsw then i set up my tinytss or somthin to show it to itunes but i still get error 1600 i know this is somewhat pathetic but it worked for my friends ipt3g worked great so what am i doing wrong here please i cant live any longer in jail the food is sooo bad and expensive and i cant even paint my back wall lol

I have a similar query, I have an iphone 3gs that was preinstalled with 3.0.1. I want to jailbreak and unlock. My question is why download the 3.0.ipsw and not the 3.0.1, to use with Redsn0w?
    Also assuming that it all goes pear shaped, I want to able to restore it to 3.0.1, to undo the Jailbreak is that possible?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    well if you are able to jailbreak your 3.0.1 then you can get cydia and click the 'make my life easier' (if thats the name of it) button if it's there and that will allow you to restore your original firmware and rejailbreak if you like after but to simply undo the jailbreak at 3.0.1 level will be hard since apple has now decided to stop signing anything below 3.1 for the 3gs so you will need your shsh ecid blob files witch is a bit technical

i'm not certain why you would need 3.0 and not just go with the 3.0.1 i far as i know redsn0w works with it and jb/unlock works fine with that firmware just make sure you save you ecid shsh blobs youll need it in the future for certain if you want to downgrade back to it
    Last edited by SoulPhyre; 2009-10-07 at 10:24 PM. Reason: missed first part of question

Do I use the 3.0.1.ipsw with Redsn0w or the 3.0?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    since you probably dont have your shsh blobs from 3.0 you will have to go with redsn0w and 3.0.1 but you need your blobs and im not sure how you can go about getting them since apple isnt signing them anymore

just make sure you save your blobs if you can get them they are critical!!! for any future jailbreak or restore with an original fw below the current fw that apple is still signing!

Quote Originally Posted by SoulPhyre View Post
    hey everyone i have a new awesome (if it were jailbroken) 3gs ootb 3.1fw YAY

i am looking for a way to jailbreak this device i have alot of experience and i have my old 3g witch i gave to my gf and its running cleanly on 3.1 jb fw. but here's the thing i have access to a mac so i made a nice little ipsw with pwnagetool 3.1.3 and it looks great but the problem is i cant get itunes to install this nice ipsw over the one that is currently on my phone i dont care about unlocking cuz i have all i need from my carrier i just want to jb. i have my 3.1 blob that i captured with umbrella when i did a restore with a real 3.1 ipsw then i set up my tinytss or somthin to show it to itunes but i still get error 1600 i know this is somewhat pathetic but it worked for my friends ipt3g worked great so what am i doing wrong here please i cant live any longer in jail the food is sooo bad and expensive and i cant even paint my back wall lol
    Bump! anyone?
    Last edited by SoulPhyre; 2009-10-08 at 01:54 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

14. The Following User Says Thank You to SoulPhyre For This Useful Post:

rascal26 (2009-10-08)

Lol tried to understand what u ment by the whole blobs shsh things! which took me the firmware umbrella and I was then well and trully out of my depth! (Total Newb and proud)