Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 63 year old with Jailbreak questions?

Default 63 year old with Jailbreak questions?
    Jailbreak questions (new member)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have a iPhone 3G, provider is ATT. I would love to be able to use the iPhone to access the internet with my laptop.

I've read tons about Jailbreaking and Cydia etc. Is Jailbreaking harmful to the phone? Will it still function properly? Why is all the illegal jailbreaking, tethering etc even necsessary?

So all that said, any tips etc on how to do all this, easily, is greatly appreciated.

This is my first post on the site, so please be kind

Thanks in advance.

Thanks

All you really need is an updated carrier file. But, this will only work pre 3.1 firmware. What firmware version are you running, and what version of iTunes?

Simtech: Version 3.1 and on my pc iTunes version 9.

What do you mean by updated carrier file?

Thanks.

Thanks

AT&T used to release carrier update files (.ipcc) whenever they had a change in services. They stopped doing this a little while back but there is still a way to get these files from updated phones. Anyway, before 3.1 FW you could install the latest .ipcc file from at&t and it added the MMS and tethering functions to your phone. But, I haven't found anyone that can get the tethering option to work anymore on 3.1. I loaded this file on my wifes 3Gs with 3.1 and it shows in the menu, let's you enable it, but once you plug into your machine, the function disappears.
    Saying all of that, I am saying that the only option you will have would to jailbreak and install a program like MyWi or PDAnet that enables this functionality.

All jailbreaking does is give you access to the root system of the iphone. Everything as far as syncing, programs, phone calls, etc.. work exactly as before. By jailbreaking it allows you to install "other" programs and software (via Cydia) that Apple don't necessarily approve of.
    As far as legal issues.... Apple tries to say that it voids your warranty, but by performing a simple {Restore} in iTunes you can return your phone to pre jailbreaking status.

Simtech: Thank you again. I just don't want to screw up a $300 phone

If I choose to jailbreak it and install one of those programs what type cable do I use to connect the laptop? Or can I just use the phone as a wireless network and connect laptop via WIFI?

I'll try to make these the last questions. Thanks again. Stan

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

MyWi is better and cheaper. It allows you to connect to your laptop over WiFi, USB, or Bluetooth your choice.

Thanks

Not a problem Stan, I'm old too (not as old as you , lol) So, I understand.
    You use your standard sync cable to connect to your computer or you can use Wifi, but it will drain your battery.
    Some of these programs will allow you to create a wifi hotspot also.

PM me if you have any more questions.

Simtech: I'm guessing though that if I have the phone plugged into a charger it would work forever!!!

Thanks again. I'm heading to the Jailbreak link, to learn how to JB the phone!