Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Procedural question -- 3G(s) 3.1 JB (Windows)

Default Procedural question -- 3G(s) 3.1 JB (Windows)
    Okay, so let's assume I have a custom 3.1 IPSW I've saved to my PC. My 3G(s) is running 3.0, jailbroken with redsn0w.

In order to restore with the custom FW, I've seen two different procedures -- one in which the phone needs to be put in recovery mode, and one in which it does not.

So, my question is, which is it?

Best to use recovery mode.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

try to just restore it from normal mode. if, for some reasons, it fails, you can still try recovery or dfu mode. but for me it has always worked when just restoring from normal mode, and it never worked from recovery mode ... but it may be different for you

LOL -- well, those are two completely different answers.

Thanks guys. I guess I'll just give it the old college try and if one doesn't work, use the other.

if your already pwn'd (which you are), you don't even need to use recovery, just select the custom .ipsw from itunes.
    The only thing I ask in return for helping, is that you click the thanks button, Thanks!

iPhone? More like MyPhone mattoligy's Avatar
    Thanks

Is it ok to leave the host file pointing to sauriks server when doing this?

Hmm...so I tried doing the normal update and received an error that the firmware file is "corrupt." Tried with a different custom IPSW and received the same result. Anyone know what's going on?

Edit: Must have had a couple of bad IPSW files. Downloaded another one this a.m. and restored in "normal" mode -- worked perfectly and I now have a pwned 3G(s) on 3.1! Aside from the missing AT&T logo, everything is working perfectly. Thanks to everyone who made this happen.

Also, to mattoligy -- yes, I have my iTunes pointed to Saurik's server.
    Last edited by eballesq; 2009-10-04 at 06:55 PM. Reason: updated info