Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Help... Error Code 1600 3gs

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Help... Error Code 1600 3gs
    Can anyone help with Error code 1600 when updating a jailbroken 3gs from 3.0.1 to 3.1.

I have searched this forum and i already deleted the files from ~/library/itunes/device support, as well as tried every possible way to create a firmware using Pwnage Tool 3.1.3. Thanks in Advance.

I have the same problem. I solved it by just restoring from normal mode, not dfu mode. if you are already in dfu mode, hold power and home for about 20-30 seconds, then the apple should pop up and the phone should boot normally. then try to restore to custom 3.1

Default 3.1 3gs 1600 error resolution...
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackWolf View Post
    I have the same problem. I solved it by just restoring from normal mode, not dfu mode. if you are already in dfu mode, hold power and home for about 20-30 seconds, then the apple should pop up and the phone should boot normally. then try to restore to custom 3.1
    After sweating bullets for 1/2 an hour, I found the fix... (at-least for me). Hold down the power & home buttons UNTIL you see the itunes/usb image (30 or more seconds for me), then proceed. Good luck everyone, I hope this helps.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to slls For This Useful Post:

KingBBQ (2010-04-27)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Isn't dfu mode though better than just normal restore mode? I heard restore mode doesn't affect the main iphone partition where dfu mode does a complete iphone wipe and restore.

not really. The outcome should be the same, no matter what you do, as far as I know. If you RESTORE (not update!) then your phone is always wiped completly.

Since the beginning of PwnageTool, the dev team said to go into dfu mode and restore from there. Since the first custom firmware, I'm getting error 16xx when I'm trying to do so. It has ALWAYS worked for me when I'm just restoring from normal mode though ... strange, but I know that a lot of other people are experiencing exactly the same on a lot of different computers and iphones, so it's not just me. I had/have this problem on my old 2G and my new 3GS ... .
    I havn't managed to do a single successful restore from dfu mode. but as long as I get it to work ... whatever

16xx errors usually occur when you are trying to restore a custom FW to an already pwned device in DFU. If the device has already been pwned then restore mode rather than DFU should be used.
    1601 or 1602 errors are often caused by using an iPod cable (or aftermarket cable) rather than the official iPhone cable.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    16xx errors usually occur when you are trying to restore a custom FW to an already pwned device in DFU. If the device has already been pwned then restore mode rather than DFU should be used.
    1601 or 1602 errors are often caused by using an iPod cable (or aftermarket cable) rather than the official iPhone cable.
    interesting. I thought you should always go from dfu mode. Will try that when I have to restore next :-)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWolf View Post
    interesting. I thought you should always go from dfu mode. Will try that when I have to restore next :-)
    Yea, that is what I thought, I have always upgraded in DFU mode and never had this problem... well i did restore in normal mode and it did work fine.

It surprised MN when I was getting 16xx errors but it was very shortly after the public release of pwnage 3.1 that he tweeted about 1604
    I don't believe the Dev Team had ever had this problem themselves so it wasn't until I reported that I had problems that they looked into it and found out what was causing it.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

I was getting them too...
    I told MN that trying out of DFU mode was the only way for it to work for me.
    Took me an hour to figure it out..
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

I've had a similar issue, I JB'd and restored to 3.1 which actually worked fine, although i got the "no service" problem. Then when I tried to go back and restore again with a second newly created IPSW from pwnagetool, I think I accidentally updated my phone to the new baseband firmware, and now I can't use a custom IPSW without a 1604 error.

Edit- hmm I was just able to get it to give me a 1600 code, but w/e...same thing.
    Last edited by aeromax; 2009-10-03 at 11:47 PM.

so whats the fix for this ?

I think, in my case anyways, that I have to wait for DevTeam or whoever, to find a way to jailbreak a phone that's been updated to the bog standard 3.1 IPSW.

Default THANKS! This does really help for me getting out of 1600...
    Quote Originally Posted by slls View Post
    After sweating bullets for 1/2 an hour, I found the fix... (at-least for me). Hold down the power & home buttons UNTIL you see the itunes/usb image (30 or more seconds for me), then proceed. Good luck everyone, I hope this helps.

yes, this is really the solution! I tried everything else before, nothing helped, this did right away!

thanks!