Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3G+JailBreak+Battery Life+ ?

Default 3G+JailBreak+Battery Life+ ?
    Hey everyone,

So, I've jailbroken before, but not at all recently so I have a few questions. Now, I've done some research on the site, but usually when you search you don't always find the truth because 99% of the time it's just complaints.

Will jailbreaking slow down my phone?
    I ask this because I remember when I originally jailbroke my phone typing was incredibly laggy.

How is battery life?
    Does it decrease dramatically? Or should it be pretty similar to what I am currently experiencing?

Thanks!
    iEat. iSleep. iPhone.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

It all depends on what you use your jailbreak for as far as lagging and battery consumptions go.

If you are running demanding themes or backgrounding apps then yes, you will get both.

Has my battery life changed due to jailbreaking? I have to say no. Apples firmware is kicking my batteries butt because apps are not quitting after you exit them. They continue to run unknowingly. I use SBsettings to kill them though using the "Processes" tweak it comes with. It cleans up 30-80megs of ram for me consistently.

Run a light theme and you will be fine. Stay away from widgets, etc. Lag is not affecting me because I am on the 3GS. Jailbreaking is finally what I have always wanted it to be on this phone:snappy.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainChaos For This Useful Post:

andypropaganda (2009-10-01)

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    Apples firmware is kicking my batteries butt because apps are not quitting after you exit them. They continue to run unknowingly.
    then you should consider restoring the phone, because that's not normal.

@OP: jailbreaking alone will not do much, if anything. your phone won't slow down or something. BUT: of course a lot of the programs you get through cydia are not tested on all devices/firmwares, they are not always developed by professionals or tested intensly, and they just offer a lot more than appstore apps. what I mean is: it's possible that some programs cause lags or battery drain on your phone. for example, winterboard can change your phone heavily, which can cause lags/crashes and battery drain. there is a "theme" for winterboard that enables you to show missed calls/mails/calender events on your lockscreen. this would not be possible without a jailbreak, but of course it uses up resources on your phone - cpu, ram and battery. this is just one example of what I'm talking about.
    another example would be: scrobbl. it sends your songs to last.fm. it doesn't use much cpu or ram, but if you tell it to scrobble over 3G (so it scrobbls after EVERY song you play), this can drain your battery in no time because it uses 3G pretty often.

BUT: if you are careful with what you install, you keep an eye on these forums and you don't expect the phone to do miracles without using cpu, ram and battery you will be fine. AND you should know that ever since 3.0, battery life is pretty bad even with non-jailbroken phones (at least that's what a lot of users report).

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlackWolf For This Useful Post:

andypropaganda (2009-10-01), Shanks12 (2010-02-05)

Alright guys thanks.

Ya, I was pretty aware that a lot depends on what programs and not. I didn't quite realize winterboard could have such a strong effect.

Thanks for the info guys.
    iEat. iSleep. iPhone.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWolf View Post
    then you should consider restoring the phone, because that's not normal.
    I can't restore I am on a 3GS. Actually it is "normal" as it is happening to everyone. Most people just don't realize it. Use anything that requires your ipod as a sound source and your ipod app will continue to run in the background. Check your email and when you exit out of it it stays in the background. Safari is the same way. Google around and you will see that it is happening everywhere. It is a huge bug. Fortunately those of us that jailbreak have options to control it.

It is very system intensive too. It adds a ton of used ram when it shouldn't...which in turn means that your battery is taxed even further.

I can't restore I am on a 3GS. Actually it is "normal" as it is happening to everyone. Most people just don't realize it. Use anything that requires your ipod as a sound source and your ipod app will continue to run in the background. Check your email and when you exit out of it it stays in the background. Safari is the same way. Google around and you will see that it is happening everywhere. It is a huge bug. Fortunately those of us that jailbreak have options to control it.

It is very system intensive too. It adds a ton of used ram when it shouldn't...which in turn means that your battery is taxed even further.
    you are mixing stuff up HEAVILY here.
    ipod is supposed to run in the background. when it does, it isn't draining your battery. same goes for mail, same goes for safari, same goes for phone! this is normal and it's designed that way! it's not a bug!
    besides safari, this makes sense too. there is a program in cydia that stops safari from running in the background. if you don't have a 3GS, this is pretty useful. on a 3GS, it doesn't really matter.
    used RAM does NOT use battery, and the backgrounded apps don't do so as well! i'm serious! if you want to kill them, you can, but this is totally not necessary. if one of the appstore apps or something like that keeps stuck in the background, that's a whole different story!

Livin the iPhone Life Bernie-Mac's Avatar
    Thanks

you are mixing stuff up HEAVILY here.
    ipod is supposed to run in the background. when it does, it isn't draining your battery. same goes for mail, same goes for safari, same goes for phone! this is normal and it's designed that way! it's not a bug!
    besides safari, this makes sense too. there is a program in cydia that stops safari from running in the background. if you don't have a 3GS, this is pretty useful. on a 3GS, it doesn't really matter.
    used RAM does NOT use battery, and the backgrounded apps don't do so as well! i'm serious! if you want to kill them, you can, but this is totally not necessary. if one of the appstore apps or something like that keeps stuck in the background, that's a whole different story!
    Used Ram does use battery. You sir, are mistaken. If RAM is being used that means the app is running, and if the app is running that means its using battery life. The more apps are open (backgrounded or not), the harder the processor has to work, and the harder the processor has to work = less battery life for you. Safari, Mail, and iPod all run in the background unless you manually close them and, as a result, waste battery life when your not using them. The Phone runs in the background because its an iPhone and would you want your data and voice connection lost?

If Apple truly did what you said and found a way for apps to run in the background without having any effect on battery life, they would have patented it, introduced it as the big 3.0 feature instead of Push Notifications, and everyone would be happy. They haven't and thus you have an iPhone that will run out of battery faster the more apps there are running in the background.
    Last edited by Bernie-Mac; 2009-10-02 at 02:35 AM.
    iLive an iLife

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie-Mac View Post
    Used Ram does use battery. You sir, are mistaken. If RAM is being used that means the app is running, and if the app is running that means its using battery life. The more apps are open (backgrounded or not), the harder the processor has to work, and the harder the processor has to work = less battery life for you. Safari, Mail, and iPod all run in the background unless you manually close them and, as a result, waste battery life when your not using them. The Phone runs in the background because its an iPhone and would you want your data and voice connection lost?

If Apple truly did what you said and found a way for apps to run in the background without having any effect on battery life, they would have patented it, introduced it as the big 3.0 feature instead of Push Notifications, and everyone would be happy. They haven't and thus you have an iPhone that will run out of battery faster the more apps there are running in the background.
    haha, sorry but you are just wrong. I mean, I don't have to concince you, I don't even care if you believe me. Just because an application is backgrounded does not mean it uses battery. Just because it uses up RAM does not mean it uses up battery. An app only uses up battery if it actually DOES something. The ipod, when backgrounded, does NOTHING, and therefor does NOT use up battery.
    Like I said, I don't even care if you believe me, I just want to save you the hassle of killing those app all the time.
    And apple didn't find a way to do it, every computer is capable of this. even the dev team posted a blog entry about this, I may link to it when I find it, maybe you find them more trustful then me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev Team
    In addition, the stated reason of reduced battery life with a daemon is factually incorrect, since any computer science student who’s taken a course in operating systems will tell you that a sleeping task takes up exactly NO CPU resources and NO power (it’s merely skipped over during context switches). That’s right: not “only a little” power, but absolutely NO power.
    :-)

Thanks

haha, sorry but you are just wrong. I mean, I don't have to concince you, I don't even care if you believe me. Just because an application is backgrounded does not mean it uses battery. Just because it uses up RAM does not mean it uses up battery. An app only uses up battery if it actually DOES something. The ipod, when backgrounded, does NOTHING, and therefor does NOT use up battery.
    Like I said, I don't even care if you believe me, I just want to save you the hassle of killing those app all the time.
    And apple didn't find a way to do it, every computer is capable of this. even the dev team posted a blog entry about this, I may link to it when I find it, maybe you find them more trustful then me.

:-)
    lol. Whatever helps you sleep at night man.
    iLive an iLife

it's just scientific fact, it has nothing to do with whatever helps me sleep at night ;-) if you don't believe me and you don't believe the dev team, than I can't help you, sorry. ask someone who knows this stuff, he will tell you the same.

Thanks

Heh I had mentioned this before, but some tend to think that RAM uses the same amount of power at 1mb usage or 200mb usage. This is simply not true. My battery drains much more quickly when the apps are hanging in the background. It is not my imagination...I have played around with this. Apple will fix it too. Eventually.

Thanks

Heh I had mentioned this before, but some tend to think that RAM uses the same amount of power at 1mb usage or 200mb usage. This is simply not true. My battery drains much more quickly when the apps are hanging in the background. It is not my imagination...I have played around with this. Apple will fix it too. Eventually.
    I know lol.

BlackWolf this is what i want you to do: Use your iPhone with nothing backgrounded the whole time and then charge it all the way and then use it with Safari, Mail, and iPod backgrounded the entire time and compare the usage times. Apple did their own tests when they did the 3.0 keynote introducing Push Notifications. Their conclusions were this: Battery life with backgrounded apps drained the phone 80% faster than normal and Push drained the battery 20% faster than normal which is why we have Push and not backgrounding. If you disagree with us you disagree with Apple, which is a mortal sin in this community and you will have your Apple products revoked. How dare you deny Jobs' omniscience.
    iLive an iLife

omg, I'm sorry but this is extremly pointless. you seem to have NO IDEA what you are talking about. I don't wanna be rude, but I'm not talking about cooking either if I don't know about it ...

PUSH HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IPOD/SAFARI/MAIL BEING BACKGROUNDED! it's not nearly the same. and I won't give you a course in computer science here, seriously. here are just the things I think I need to answer:

1) push has nothing to do with ipod/safari/mail being background. you are comparing apples (;-)) and bananas here

2) RAM DOES NOT USE BATTERY! holy crap I can't even stress that enough. what DOES take battery is if ram gets allocated or deallocated. if 200MB of RAM is taken up, but nothing accesses those 200MB, it doesn't take battery for gods sake. or are you saying that you use more battery the fuller the iphones drive gets? NO!

3) there is nothing to fix as there is no bug here

Really, if you don't believe me, I don't even care anymore. I tried. Google this stuff or whatever ...

Thanks

omg, I'm sorry but this is extremly pointless. you seem to have NO IDEA what you are talking about. I don't wanna be rude, but I'm not talking about cooking either if I don't know about it ...

PUSH HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IPOD/SAFARI/MAIL BEING BACKGROUNDED! it's not nearly the same. and I won't give you a course in computer science here, seriously. here are just the things I think I need to answer:

1) push has nothing to do with ipod/safari/mail being background. you are comparing apples (;-)) and bananas here

2) RAM DOES NOT USE BATTERY! holy crap I can't even stress that enough. what DOES take battery is if ram gets allocated or deallocated. if 200MB of RAM is taken up, but nothing accesses those 200MB, it doesn't take battery for gods sake. or are you saying that you use more battery the fuller the iphones drive gets? NO!

3) there is nothing to fix as there is no bug here

Really, if you don't believe me, I don't even care anymore. I tried. Google this stuff or whatever ...
    Lmao. The funny thing is that you have no idea what I am talking about and are now arguing points that I didn't even make.

Push has nothing to do with backgrounding, your correct (for once) but i was bringing up Push because Apple gave us push because....get ready....BACKGROUNDED APPS USE BATTERY LIFE! Apple, as i said, conducted their own tests on this stuff. Apple concluded that backgrounded applications drain the battery 80% faster than without backgrounded apps. That, coupled with the fact that I, CaptainChaos, and everyone else (besides you) notices that your battery will drain faster with backgrounded apps than not leads us to the overwhelming conclusion that Safari, Mail, and iPod all use battery life when they are active in the background.

I can either just take your word for it or take the hard evidence I have seen on my iPhones since i bought one on iDay June 29, 2007. Hmm.....hard decision....
    Last edited by Bernie-Mac; 2009-10-04 at 08:44 PM.
    iLive an iLife

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andypropaganda View Post
    .... I didn't quite realize winterboard could have such a strong effect....
    Just to clarify. It's not Winterboard by itsself, it's what you're telling Winterboard to do (themes, widgets, etc)

Lmao. The funny thing is that you have no idea what I am talking about and are now arguing points that I didn't even make.

Push has nothing to do with backgrounding, your correct (for once) but i was bringing up Push because Apple gave us push because....get ready....BACKGROUNDED APPS USE BATTERY LIFE! Apple, as i said, conducted their own tests on this stuff. Apple concluded that backgrounded applications drain the battery 80% faster than without backgrounded apps. That, coupled with the fact that I, CaptainChaos, and everyone else (besides you) notices that your battery will drain faster with backgrounded apps than not leads us to the overwhelming conclusion that Safari, Mail, and iPod all use battery life when they are active in the background.

I can either just take your word for it or take the hard evidence I have seen on my iPhones since i bought one on iDay June 29, 2007. Hmm.....hard decision....
    lol, ok, I misunderstood you there, but you are still wrong.
    if push wasn't there and apps would be allowed to run in the background, they would receive and transfer data over your 3G network (as a substitute for push). they would be backgrounded, yes, but they would not be SLEEPING. if an app DOES something it uses battery, as I said above. when you background safarai/mail/ipod they are SLEEPING. which means they take NO battery at all.
    what apple did with push was having ONE push service instead of xxxx apps in the background, all doing their own things. still, if you background an app and it doesn't do something, it doesn't take up battery.

I don't care if you believe that your battery dies faster when you background those apps, it doesn't. period.

the term "backgrounded" is not clear here though. we have to distinguish between sleeping and non-sleeping apps. ipod, when backgrounded, is sleeping. mail, when backgrounded, is sleeping. safari, when backgrounded, is sleeping. sleeping apps take no battery ... believe it or not ^^

btw, a good example of what I'm talking about: if you play music and you background the ipod, it does something -> it uses battery. if you do NOT play music and background the ipod, it doesn't do anything -> it's not eating your battery

Thanks

lol, ok, I misunderstood you there, but you are still wrong.
    if push wasn't there and apps would be allowed to run in the background, they would receive and transfer data over your 3G network (as a substitute for push). they would be backgrounded, yes, but they would not be SLEEPING. if an app DOES something it uses battery, as I said above. when you background safarai/mail/ipod they are SLEEPING. which means they take NO battery at all.
    what apple did with push was having ONE push service instead of xxxx apps in the background, all doing their own things. still, if you background an app and it doesn't do something, it doesn't take up battery.

I don't care if you believe that your battery dies faster when you background those apps, it doesn't. period.

the term "backgrounded" is not clear here though. we have to distinguish between sleeping and non-sleeping apps. ipod, when backgrounded, is sleeping. mail, when backgrounded, is sleeping. safari, when backgrounded, is sleeping. sleeping apps take no battery ... believe it or not ^^

btw, a good example of what I'm talking about: if you play music and you background the ipod, it does something -> it uses battery. if you do NOT play music and background the ipod, it doesn't do anything -> it's not eating your battery

Then why doesnt Apple implement this "sleeping backgrounding" for all apps since they did it for Safari, Mail, and iPod and get rid of Push Notifications? That way everyone can have backgrounded apps like they wanted all along? Oh, thats right...because you have no idea what your talking about.
    iLive an iLife

Well with winterboard, I have 3G 3.1 jailbroken, i have User Wallpaper, Tenuis Flow, Transparent Dock, Dim Icons, Black Navigation bars always running. This is a strain on my battery so it does drain faster, but not that much more. But when i use a theme like Glass Orb, or Windows7Mobile or iElegance my battery can drain in an hour to two of being on and in use. But this is with my brightness up all the way too. So depending on what you have running, your battery can drain faster.

Edit: i also have 6 dock running all the time so that is adding more to what the phone has to do.

Then why doesnt Apple implement this "sleeping backgrounding" for all apps since they did it for Safari, Mail, and iPod and get rid of Push Notifications? That way everyone can have backgrounded apps like they wanted all along? Oh, thats right...because you have no idea what your talking about.
    lol ... this is completly pointless. go take a lesson in computer science. that's all I have to say.

I think the CPU percent used would be the best way to measure battery usage. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but CPU at 50% will use much more battery than 50% of memory used (3gs). So pound for pound CPU usage is the best way to monitor battery drain. If you use memtool to look at mobilemail, iPod, phone, etc. You will see they use CPU and memory (of course) but mobilemail seems to be a CPU hog so even in background it is using battery. Feel free to chime in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast