Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Need some help quick! Done a stupid/newbie mistake!

Exclamation Need some help quick! Done a stupid/newbie mistake!
    Title suggests it all.

Here's the story, got an I-phone, black, 3G, 16GB today from online. Works fine, was already previously jailbreaked/unlocked so all I had to do was insert my t-mobile sim card & go! I did just that and was working fine, I even texted some of my friends & imported all my contacts from my previous phone.

As just getting the phone, I plugged the cable to my macbook & letting itunes do its thing. Little did I know, my itunes was updating my iphone for me. After updating, & me being stupid me, AGREED & now my iphone updated to what I believe 3.0.1 & thus being completely locked & unjailbroken again.

I've been working on it all day & tried all jailbreak/unlock tools [redsnow 0.8,pwnagetool 3.0, restarting/DUF mode] still no freaking luck!!! So I continued to do my research & I noticed from some Apple site that if the previous owner had used a SIM card a& me being a new owner & I updated the iphone, I will lose all the data & will be unable to reactivate it now/jailbreak/unlock now due to the fact I'm T-mobile..

My question is, is there a way to reactivate my iphone?? I tried restoring it and everytime when it pops up on itunes, it won't let me get any farther because it requires a working sim...

Thanks
    Thanked 12,544 Times in 7,599 Posts

Welcome to MMi,

Sux big time.

Sorry to tell you this but you may have never be able to unlock that phone again. Moving to 3.1 firmware in iTunes changes the baseband and that can not be changed and there is no unlock for it.
    A ray of hope............there may be in the future an unlock as the need now increases as so many people have done this same thing to their phones, but it may take a while or may indeed never happen. Again, sorry.

thanks for tuning in blkcadi..

Sucks to hear that, I had it for less than 1 day & this **** happened. Terribly sad..

However, at least now I know that my iphone is updated @ 3.1 because I had no idea what version it was updated to.

Thanks

You can go to Settings/General/about and it will tell you there. You may want to check and see to be sure. Were you running iTunes 9.0 or higher?

I can't get pass the sim activation on my iphone. I'm either stuck on NO SIM CARD ATTACHED on the iphone. I can't even restore it properly on itunes because the fact I do not have the cingular sim card.

My itunes is currently @ 9.0.1

Thanks

Yup, then your on 3.1 sorry to say. Sell it and call it a lesson learned and buy another one. I am sure now you know NEVER update a jailbroken/unlocked iPhone unless an approved process has been released.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bo Troxell For This Useful Post:

HAYitsREY (2009-10-01)

good thing that its not hopeless, I am going to check tomorrow if it still works for any AT&T/Cingular and if it does, I am going to sell it ASAP!

Thanks

It will work, no worries. Good luck my friend.

Always check in with us to see whats happening OK?

I will check in tomorrow as in what it appears. From this point I have two options.

1)Check if it still works for At&T (very likely) and if it does then I can sell to my friends on the spot, at least I get my money back and go ebay hunting again for another 16gb.
    2)As above, but after I "bypass" the SIM menu, I can try downgrading the firmware back to 3.0 but the baseband is still 3.1 which is pretty much useless and try to jailbreak/unlock it again but after talking to experts, its better just selling it to a solid AT&T user.

I'll check back in tomorrow though.

Thursday Oct. 1 2:43PM [PST]
    Was able to successfully jailbreak a 3G 3.1 Iphone, but I have yet have no luck in finding anything in hopes of UNLOCKING it.
    Last edited by HAYitsREY; 2009-10-01 at 11:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HAYitsREY View Post
    I will check in tomorrow as in what it appears. From this point I have two options.

1)Check if it still works for At&T (very likely) and if it does then I can sell to my friends on the spot, at least I get my money back and go ebay hunting again for another 16gb.
    2)As above, but after I "bypass" the SIM menu, I can try downgrading the firmware back to 3.0 but the baseband is still 3.1 which is pretty much useless and try to jailbreak/unlock it again but after talking to experts, its better just selling it to a solid AT&T user.

I'll check back in tomorrow though.
    as for number 2 ... that won't work. you can jailbreak it, use it as an ipod, use it as an internet device over wifi, use it as a gaming device, but you can not unlock it and therefor use it as an actual phone, sorry. I just want to save you some hassle, because that will not work. best thing is to sell it I guess

As of Friday 9:13AM [PST], AFTER HOURS OF GLUING myself in front of my laptop in hopes of finding a solution for my "bricked I-phone, I found quite possibly the best solution for now unless Dev. team or some other site releases an unlock for the 3.1, 05.11.07 baseband upgrade!

How To Downgrade iPhone 3.1 Baseband From 05.11.07 to 04.26.08 | The iPhone Blog by Simon

1)You have to jailbreak your 3.1 iphone but it is possible to downgrade your baseband back to 04.26.08 which means you can jailbreak/unlock your phone for any carrier.
    2)If your reading this and attempting to try it, my tip for you since I got it work, is follow each and every direction carefully. Don't try to be a smartass and skip steps.
    3)Be nearby a solid wi-fi connection & have a decent PC/Mac avail.