Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3G iPhone Questions

Default 3G iPhone Questions
    I bought a 3G iPhone 16gb off ebay that had the factory 3.1 firmware on it. I downgraded it to 3.0 and jailbroke it with redsn0w and then unlocked it with ultrasn0w. I put in my girlfriend's Centennial sim card and all I got was searching and then no service. I'm completely new to this so I'm really confused. I ran some Fuzzyband app and it said that the bootloader is 06.02 and the baseband is 05.11.07. Is there anything I can do to get service or am I screwed until something new comes out?

Thank you for any help.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

Welocome to MMi,
    Yup, your screwed, at least for now unless a unlock becomes available for that baseband. Downgrading only changes the software not the baseband.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bo Troxell For This Useful Post:

NewoIkkin2113 (2009-09-30)

Thanks for the input. If I were to get AT&T service would it work with that? And could I get a plan without all the required iPhone stuff on it?

Thanks

Sure it will work with AT&T and you will be able to jailbreak it still but we're not sure if it will ever be able to be unlocked once the baseband has been upgraded.

So what you're saying is that since my baseband is upgraded that AT&T may be my only option ever? I'm on verizon and I bought the phone so I could switch to a gsm carrier and use it.

Thanks

Well yes, there may be an unlock at some time, but most say it will not happen. We can only hope.

Looks like I'll be headed in to get an AT&T plan sometime this week then. I wish I would've checked with the seller and made sure it wasn't on 3.1 when I bought it. So if I go get a plan with AT&T I can just pop the sim card in and it will work? Sorry for all the q's I'm completely new to iPhone stuff.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Yes, since your phone is now branded back to AT&T you can put the sim in it and it will work.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainChaos For This Useful Post:

NewoIkkin2113 (2009-10-01)

I was just reading somewhere that if you just get a regular plan from at&t and then put the sim in an iPhone that they will send you a text saying that they know you're on a smart phone and want to add a data plan. Anyone have some more info on this?

Quote Originally Posted by NewoIkkin2113 View Post
    I was just reading somewhere that if you just get a regular plan from at&t and then put the sim in an iPhone that they will send you a text saying that they know you're on a smart phone and want to add a data plan. Anyone have some more info on this?
    My roommate traded his smartphone (with no data plan) for an iphone. After about 20 mins with the sim in he got a txt from AT&T saying that he now has an iPhone and needs an iPhone data plan.

You don't have to have a data plan for smartphones, you do have to have one with the iphone.

Ok so I went and got a Gophone and activated it and set it up and everything, but when I put the sim in my iPhone i get searching and then no service. I read in another post (http://modmyi.com/forums/unlocking-a...ing-3-1-a.html) that I had to go into an AT&T store and ask for a new sim card and then everything will work. This is a nightmare lol.

Edit: Now I tried to re-jailbreak it with the SIM installed in it and now I'm just stuck at the apple when trying to boot. I'm sooo done with this thing.

It is now on ebay if anyone wants the thing lol.
    Last edited by NewoIkkin2113; 2009-10-04 at 04:48 PM.