Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Tips on backing up my iphone before JB???

Default Tips on backing up my iphone before JB???
    so like everyone else here...i'm trying to jailbreak to 3.1.

i am still running on 3.0 jailbreak on my 3g(s) but i need a few tips before getting on the bandwagon

first off...just to clarify...it's best to restore (meaning starting from scratch by erasing everything) to upgrade to 3.1 and eventually JB right?

if so...WHAT IS THE BEST WAY OF BACKING UP EVERYTHING? (contacts, text messages etc)

i wanna make sure i can save these things and be able to reload them to 3.1 and not have to literally start from scratch and have to enter every contact manually or loose my text messages.

i hope i am asking the right questions here and i hope i can get some help too...thanks! :-)

Livin the iPhone Life SundayDuffer's Avatar
    Thanks

If i were you..i'd do nothing.
    if you are planning to get your phone unlocked sometime in the future then dont upgrade to 3.1. If you dont care about unlocking, then youre fine. Jailbreaking 3.1 is ok.

anyhow, if you sync the phone with iTunes, it'll back everything up for you...after youre done with the upgrade, sync your backup. everything should come back.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SundayDuffer For This Useful Post:

miyan (2009-09-28)

If you have a 3GS you are safe waiting before upgrade... Read The BEST source for all your JB information

How to BackUp you can read here : How to Back up ALL your Data

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Santiti For This Useful Post:

miyan (2009-09-28)

i am not gonna be unlocking my iphone since i am an at&t customer

does this still mean i should wait for the 3.1 jailbreak?

*thanks for the data saving tips!

I believe the only way to start from scratch is to restore as a new phone. If you do this understand that iTunes doesn't backup your camera roll, so if you want to preserve photos/movies, you'll have to manually back them up to your computer. You'll also lose your text messages and email.

can someone tell me if it's truly a good idea to go to 3.1 (i'm only trying to do this upgrade for the MMS feature) and then jailbreak?

...and just to confirm...3.1 CAN be jailbroken yes?

(excuse the ignorance...i just really want to have a working phone and not brick the thing like i did last year)