Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Jailbreaking iPhone 3GS 3.0.1

Question Jailbreaking iPhone 3GS 3.0.1
    What is the proper way to do this, i came across so many websites and still confusing.

My 1st thought was change the host file in my windows. then use iBEC and iBSS Grabber to capture the files by following the guides. Lastly, use redsn0w and ultrasn0w to jailbreak and unlock. Is this correct?

Can someone enlight me with the proper guide. i know jailbreak and unlock is easy, just run redsn0w and ultrasn0w. I'm concern with the iBEC iBSS and ECID.
    Last edited by Mayanpaw; 2009-09-27 at 10:03 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life SundayDuffer's Avatar
    Thanks

that is correct. Youre in good shape. Whatever you do...dont upgrade to 3.1.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SundayDuffer For This Useful Post:

Mayanpaw (2009-09-27)

I just wanna be extra sure. Is the iBEC and iBSS / ECID necessary now after the 3.1 is out. I heard that they're useless if i capture it now after the 3.1 is out. So what should i do now, can u tell me more details bout the steps to jailbreak my device.

Quote Originally Posted by SundayDuffer View Post
    that is correct. Youre in good shape. Whatever you do...dont upgrade to 3.1.
    actually, that is NOT correct ...

here is the deal:
    1) stay away from your host file. as long as you do not have an ECID on file in cydia, it won't do anything. once you are jailbroken, you can tap the "make my life easier" button in cydia. this will store a 3.1 ECID file on the cydia server for your device, which will allow you to restore to 3.1 even if apple stops signing it. to restore to 3.1 after apple stopped signing it you need to edit your host file - right now, you do not need to do anything with your host file.

2) capturing the iBEC and iBSS requires you to restore to 3.1. since you cannot jailbreak 3.1 right now, you might want to wait until 3.1 is jailbroken. after that, restore to 3.1 and use the grabber to capture the two files. it doesn't matter when you capture them as they stay the same regardless of firmware. you will need them to make your custom IPSW, so you need them to jailbreak your device via PwnageTool as long as no 3.1-compatible redsn0w version is available.

so the proper guide is: jailbreak, then tap "make my life easier" in cydia. as soon as a 3.1 jailbreak becomes available, restore to 3.1, grab the iBEC and iBSS, then create a custom IPSW 3.1 and restore to that.

NOTE THIS: if you depend on an unlock, do NOT, NEVER EVER, restore to 3.1 (everything I wrote above becomes not true in that case, ignore it!). if you need your phone to be unlocked you are pretty much screwed a lot! because you cannot restore your phone as it will leave it permanently locked. and you maybe (probably?) never can update to something higher than 3.0.1.
    so if you depend on an unlock, I personally would advise you to sell the phone, as your phone becomes locked if you ever need to restore it.
    at least that is how it is now. this might change if a new unlock is developed, but noone knows if and when that will happen.
    Last edited by BlackWolf; 2009-09-27 at 03:58 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlackWolf For This Useful Post:

Mayanpaw (2009-09-28), yentrog31 (2009-09-27)

iPhone? More like MyPhone yentrog31's Avatar
    Thanks

Default a new iPhone?
    thx BW..I think you answered my Q as well..My battery crashed on my JB 3 mo old 3gs(3.0.1)...I felt I had NO choice but to upgrade to 3.1 since I had to send it back to Apple..I got lucky to get a 10% charge of my battery do just do that..anyway....Im getting a new iphone Mon and Im hoping for a 3.0 version but who knows..if I get a 3.1 I will wait for the new JB...but if I get a 3.0.1 Im going to JB using redsn0w like I did last phone...I had my files on Cydia but that will not be the case anymore....so as per your advice....JB my new phone(hoping I get a 3.0 version) and stay away from any Apple upgrade..?

Quote Originally Posted by yentrog31 View Post
    thx BW..I think you answered my Q as well..My battery crashed on my JB 3 mo old 3gs(3.0.1)...I felt I had NO choice but to upgrade to 3.1 since I had to send it back to Apple..I got lucky to get a 10% charge of my battery do just do that..anyway....Im getting a new iphone Mon and Im hoping for a 3.0 version but who knows..if I get a 3.1 I will wait for the new JB...but if I get a 3.0.1 Im going to JB using redsn0w like I did last phone...I had my files on Cydia but that will not be the case anymore....so as per your advice....JB my new phone(hoping I get a 3.0 version) and stay away from any Apple upgrade..?
    if you don't need the unlock you CAN update to 3.1, but there is no JB available for that right now. so it's best to stay on 3.0 or 3.0.1 if possible and wait it out. pwnagetool for the 3GS and redsn0w for 3.1 will be released pretty soon I think, then you can update to 3.1 (if you don't need the unlock you can even upgrade to official 3.1 firmware).

hiii...i hve 3gs iphone n on 3.0.1 ,i want to jailbreak and unlock ..can u tell me what procedure n which software shuld i take.
    i dnt want to upgrade to 3.1.2 n jailbreak n unlock with blackra1n as it dsnt wrks properly........
    so can u help me plz in unlockin at 3.0.1 nly n is it gonna wrk fine....

thnx in advance....

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

You can jailbreak 3.0.1 with redsn0w.