Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: APN Editing error on installing

Default APN Editing error on installing
    I installed "activatemms2g" went into settings and nothing had changed, no mms options showing. so I went back to cydia and tried to install "apn editing". got two error messages and had to check the option to "forcibly delete". So I still have activatemms2g on my phone (2g) but nothing has changed in either my settings nor in my text screen (no camera showing). any suggestions on what I should try to correct this? I know I am being a pain about this topic but I really do want MMS capabilities on my phone..I would appreciate any help.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Did you uninstall and reinstall??

you sure you looked in the right place? the MMS settings are in
    settings > general > network > cellular data network
    then you have to scroll down to "MMS settings" or something.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWolf View Post
    you sure you looked in the right place? the MMS settings are in
    settings > general > network > cellular data network
    then you have to scroll down to "MMS settings" or something.
    when I go to settings,general,network I am still only seeing the original two choices, there is no choice for MMS settings or any other settings for that matter. when I go to messages same thing, nothing has changed from standard settings. I deleted it and reinstalled again with no change. I tried to install APN editing again with same errors and forcibly removed it again.
    Is 1.0 the current version of activatemms2g? That is the version that is on my cydia to install. has there been an update that for some reason my phone has not picked up?
    Last edited by John1177; 2009-09-27 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John1177 View Post
    when I go to settings,general,network I am still only seeing the original two choices, there is no choice for MMS settings or any other settings for that matter. when I go to messages same thing, nothing has changed from standard settings
    then you have to activate that menu manually. do you know how to SSH into your phone and how to edit .plist files? if so, this can be done pretty easily. if you don't, google it please, there are numerous tutorials on it.

go to /private/var/mobile/Library/Carrier bundle.bundle/ on your phone, edit the carrier.plist. at the very end of the file you'll find:
    </dict>
    </plist>

ABOVE(!) those lines, add:
    <key>AllowEDGEEditing</key>
    <true/>

save the file to the phone, reboot, you should have the MMS menu

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlackWolf For This Useful Post:

jcarroll (2009-11-14), kgcork (2011-02-16), Lightnin (2010-10-14)

then you have to activate that menu manually. do you know how to SSH into your phone and how to edit .plist files? if so, this can be done pretty easily. if you don't, google it please, there are numerous tutorials on it.

go to /private/var/mobile/Library/Carrier bundle.bundle/ on your phone, edit the carrier.plist. at the very end of the file you'll find:
    </dict>
    </plist>

ABOVE(!) those lines, add:
    <true/>

save the file to the phone, reboot, you should have the MMS menu
    everything works fine until I get to "edit plist. when I click on f4 to edit a screen comes up that says something like "copying to something but just stalls there and times out. what am I doing wrong?

everything works fine until I get to "edit plist. when I click on f4 to edit a screen comes up that says something like "copying to something but just stalls there and times out. what am I doing wrong?
    I don't know about F4, but just copying the file to your desktop should work. the real question is if you can edit it, because on windows your normally need to convert it first (there are webpages for that if I'm not mistaken) ...

I don't know about F4, but just copying the file to your desktop should work. the real question is if you can edit it, because on windows your normally need to convert it first (there are webpages for that if I'm not mistaken) ...
    oh oh, then I guess I am NOT going to get MMS, as I wouldn't have a clue. I thought that I would just be able to edit it where it was..oh well, thanks for your time anyhow..as you can probably tell I am not real savvy on this thing but I sure give it a try..LOL..maybe a new app will come along that will allow it to run on the 2g.. I sure hope so, my wife rags me constantly that she can MMS even on her razr...LOL..again, thanks for you time & effort..

oh oh, then I guess I am NOT going to get MMS, as I wouldn't have a clue. I thought that I would just be able to edit it where it was..oh well, thanks for your time anyhow..as you can probably tell I am not real savvy on this thing but I sure give it a try..LOL..maybe a new app will come along that will allow it to run on the 2g.. I sure hope so, my wife rags me constantly that she can MMS even on her razr...LOL..again, thanks for you time & effort..
    well, maybe I can help you but you need to be able to execute comand line comands on your phone (can be done via winSCP for example, just press ctrl+t when connected to your phone).
    install "Erica Utilites" from cydia. after that, execute the following comand in the folder where the carrier.plist is:
    plutil -convert xml1 carrier.plist
    after that, download the carrier.plist and you should be able to edit it the way I described above. then just upload it back to your phone and reboot and see if it works

well, maybe I can help you but you need to be able to execute comand line comands on your phone (can be done via winSCP for example, just press ctrl+t when connected to your phone).
    install "Erica Utilites" from cydia. after that, execute the following comand in the folder where the carrier.plist is:
    plutil -convert xml1 carrier.plist
    after that, download the carrier.plist and you should be able to edit it the way I described above. then just upload it back to your phone and reboot and see if it works
    I will wait until we are both online before attempting this. first quesstion, do I do that control+t before running winscp? or do I do it after I get to the plist?

I will wait until we are both online before attempting this. first quesstion, do I do that control+t before running winscp? or do I do it after I get to the plist?
    it actually sounds way more complicated than it really is
    start up winscp, go into the folder, then press ctrl+t. this will open up a terminal window in the folder you are currently in (the one with the carrier.plist). all the comand I posted does is convert the carrier.plist in a human-readable format (xml).

it actually sounds way more complicated than it really is
    start up winscp, go into the folder, then press ctrl+t. this will open up a terminal window in the folder you are currently in (the one with the carrier.plist). all the comand I posted does is convert the carrier.plist in a human-readable format (xml).
    I see that you are online so I thought I might attempt this but wanted to ask you a couple of questions first.
    do I install erica utilities BEFORE I winscp?
    when I am in winscp do I just highlight "carrier plist" ?then control T
    I just checked and I already have it installed
    Last edited by John1177; 2009-09-29 at 11:01 PM.

I see that you are online so I thought I might attempt this but wanted to ask you a couple of questions first.
    do I install erica utilities BEFORE I winscp?
    when I am in winscp do I just highlight "carrier plist" ?then control T
    I just checked and I already have it installed
    it doesn't matter when you install it. erica utilities contains the "plutil" comand-line utility that allows you to convert .plist files, that's all. you don't have to highlight the carrier.plist, it doesn't matter. like I said, don't make it more complicated than it is, because it really isn't

ok two more questions and I think i am ready to give it a go. I know to download it to my computer I just click on F4 and that puts it on my desktop, but how do I get it back onto my phone after making the changes?
    2. you said to add "<key>allow EDGEEditing>. is it supposed to be part caps and part not?

ok two more questions and I think i am ready to give it a go. I know to download it to my computer I just click on F4 and that puts it on my desktop, but how do I get it back onto my phone after making the changes?
    2. you said to add "<key>allow EDGEEditing>. is it supposed to be part caps and part not?
    you can just drag & drop the file like you would on your local computer. so once it's edited, drag it into the iphone folder in winscp and it gets uploaded. there should also be something like file -> upload file or something like that, but drag & drop is the easiest way to do it.
    is correct. I think(!) it isn't case-sensitive, but just to be sure write it down exactly as I did. and it's really important that it isn't "Allow EDGEEditing" or something, it's one word.

good luck ;-) let's hope this works, but it should worst case scenario, nothing happens

ok, I was in that folder, clicked on cntrl T and got the following message.
    "THE currentsftp-3 session does not support command you requested. Do you want to open seperate shell session?
    Note: The serfveer must provide unix like shell and the shell must use the same path syntax as current sftp-3 session.."

ok, I was in that folder, clicked on cntrl T and got the following message.
    "THE currentsftp-3 session does not support command you requested. Do you want to open seperate shell session?
    Note: The serfveer must provide unix like shell and the shell must use the same path syntax as current sftp-3 session.."
    yeah, just click yes or whatever it wants to hear. like I said, you can't really break anything ... just do it ;-)

19. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackWolf For This Useful Post:

John1177 (2009-10-01)

yeah, just click yes or whatever it wants to hear. like I said, you can't really break anything ... just do it ;-)
    doesn't matter what I do it won't let me into that file so I finally said to hell with it and installed "enable mms".. well that also didnt' work but now I can't get rid of it and my voicemails aren't coming thru now.. I have deleted enable mms and all the settings stayed the same, so when I went into cydia it is no longer in my "packages" but it is also not back in the apps section, but it is apparantly still something from it keeping my settings from going back to normal and my voicemails are not coming thru. Guess it was just not meant to be for me to have MMS and now I don't have voicemail either...LOL
    Anyhow, thanks for all your time and effort..sorry it was for naught.

doesn't matter what I do it won't let me into that file so I finally said to hell with it and installed "enable mms".. well that also didnt' work but now I can't get rid of it and my voicemails aren't coming thru now.. I have deleted enable mms and all the settings stayed the same, so when I went into cydia it is no longer in my "packages" but it is also not back in the apps section, but it is apparantly still something from it keeping my settings from going back to normal and my voicemails are not coming thru. Guess it was just not meant to be for me to have MMS and now I don't have voicemail either...LOL
    Anyhow, thanks for all your time and effort..sorry it was for naught.
    strange thing, but I never used the package so I'm afraid I can't help you there.
    in any case, why does it not "let you into the file"? after you converted it you can just edit it with a normal text editor.

I am working through a similar problem where I cannot get APN editing setup to allow data setup with my carrier (Telus Canada). When I F4 on carrier.plist to edit I see the following ...

bplist00ng_%Default_CARRIER_CLARO EL SALVADOR.pngafone P.png_Default_CARRIER_vodafone P.png*;Iij-.J[i

That cant be right can it ? That has to be why my APN Editing wont install through Cydia right ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast