Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: White screen when the phone awakes from sleep

Default White screen when the phone awakes from sleep
    I bought a iphone 2g today from a guy on craigslist and this phone is messed up. Before I gave him the money, I played with it and seen he had jailbroken it and put a bunch of stuff on it. He said he did this himself.

I played around with it, stuck my sim card in it and everything seemed ok. I noticed that when I put my sim card in it, the phone turned off by itself which surprised me. I made a call on it and received a text immediately and so I gave him my money.

He drives/rides away and I am still in the parking lot putting my sim back into my own 3g iphone and I discover that the screen of the 2g I just got had a white image with blue lines running vertically. "Hell no", was the first thing to pop up in my mind and I tried to turn it off. Nothing happened. I had to hold the power button and the home button down for 10 sec for it to restart correctly, but whenever the phone goes to sleep it happens again.

I text the guy and he says it worked great for him, but I replied that I am still in the parking lot and not even 5 minutes past by when this phone messes up. To sum everything up, what can I do to fix it cause I got a feeling it is a program that he stuck on here that is the root cause. Thanks for reading.

Livin the iPhone Life SundayDuffer's Avatar
    Thanks

restore

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

^ plain and simple, yup would def agree.

well....I tried to restore it. When I restored it I got the message about activating it, which I can't. I was still able to put the phone in sleep mode from the emergency screen via pressing the sleep button and the screen became white again. I then jailbroke the phone again, since I can't do a restore from the activation screen and everything went fine. Yet again, I get the white screen.

I got hosed on this deal it seems. I don't know what else I can do. Is there any program that is notorious for this problem? Maybe I can install it and uninstall it to see if that is the problem.

Thanks

When you at the emergency only screen did you try to jailbreak it from there and hacktivate it?

Yes, I did. Right now, I looking at cydia and looking for every program the guy installed that I can recall and attempting to installing and uninstalling to fix it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by braids View Post
    Yes, I did. Right now, I looking at cydia and looking for every program the guy installed that I can recall and attempting to installing and uninstalling to fix it.
    Confused, thought you said you restored it. if so all cydia app would have been removed. If not, restore and re-jailbreak see if that cures the problem.

didn't work. I don't know what I can do at this point asides from selling it for a major lost. Thanks for you help.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Don't give up so easily What didn't work?

I did a restore, which took me to the activation portion of the iphone again. Then I restored again via putting the phone in recovery mode. Then again I restored by the same technique and finally I jailbroke it with redsnow 0.8 (I believe) w/unlock and the results are the same.

Before that, I restore it to the activation screen once and then jailbroke it. I then repeated the cycle without success of fixing it. I set up an appointment at the genius bar for Wednesday, but I don't know how to approach them about the problem.

I can't (h)activate it in front of them. If they fix it, they will install 3.1 firmware. If they can fix it, I don't even have a clue how much they will charge.