Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: A way to update carrier settings without updating my firmware?

Default A way to update carrier settings without updating my firmware?
    Hi all,

I'd like to update my iPhone 3G's carrier settings so I can send / receive MMS messages but I've got OS 3.0 and the only way I can update via iTunes is by updating to both OS 3.1 and the carrier settings. Is there a way I can just update the carrier settings or find a link to the .ipcc file and update it manually?

- Thanks

if you can find the ipcc file, hold shift and click on "update" in itunes (in the iphone screen), then select the ipcc. but of course you have to get it first, AND the carrier files were slighlty changed in 3.1, so no idea if a 3.1 carrier file works on 3.0

Thanks

Why not download the free "iPhone Configuration Utility" from Apple and use?
    iPhone Configuration Utility 2.0 for Windows
    iPhone Configuration Utility 2.1 for Mac OS X
    Do hope that helps

**uoʇʇnq sʞuɐɥʇ ǝɥʇ ʇıɥ puɐ puıʞ ǝq noʎ pǝdןǝɥ sɐɥ ǝuoǝɯos ɟı**

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

I updated the official ipcc released today with tethering and cellular data editing. AT&T 6.0 ipcc

5. The Following User Says Thank You to StealthBravo For This Useful Post:

Cornflake (2009-09-26)

do you think there will be an app soon that will allow the 2g to have MMS? I know about "activate mms 2g" but I am hopeful that there will be one that does not require another phone and switching back and forth.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

I really don't know if anyone is working on it. I haven't been messing with it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by John1177 View Post
    do you think there will be an app soon that will allow the 2g to have MMS? I know about "activate mms 2g" but I am hopeful that there will be one that does not require another phone and switching back and forth.
    you already posted this in another topic, and I was confused back then, and I am now: activate mms2g just activates mms. done. you do not need a second phone or something, what should be the point of a second phone?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sursture View Post
    Why not download the free "iPhone Configuration Utility" from Apple and use?
    iPhone Configuration Utility 2.0 for Windows
    iPhone Configuration Utility 2.1 for Mac OS X
    Interesting utility. A whole lot of settings to consider. How about sharing your *.deviceinfo file as a sample

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    I updated the official ipcc released today with tethering and cellular data editing. AT&T 6.0 ipcc
    Thanks that's exactly what I needed!

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWolf View Post
    you already posted this in another topic, and I was confused back then, and I am now: activate mms2g just activates mms. done. you do not need a second phone or something, what should be the point of a second phone?
    Everything that I have read says that after running it that you must then put your sim card into another phone, make a couple of calls, send a MMS and then put it back into your phone. I tried to just run it with out the changing it back and forth and when I tried to send a photo it got part way thru the send and stoped. I also lost my voicemail. So I uninstalled it.

Quote Originally Posted by John1177 View Post
    Everything that I have read says that after running it that you must then put your sim card into another phone, make a couple of calls, send a MMS and then put it back into your phone. I tried to just run it with out the changing it back and forth and when I tried to send a photo it got part way thru the send and stoped. I also lost my voicemail. So I uninstalled it.
    strange, worked fine for me without doing some weird stuff ...

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWolf View Post
    strange, worked fine for me without doing some weird stuff ...
    Did you lose your visual e-mail? My e-mail quit working completely and didn't work again until I removed act MMS 2g. I was hoping that now that ATT has enabled MMS that it might work with no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    I really don't know if anyone is working on it. I haven't been messing with it at all.
    If we asked real nice, COULD you see what you could come up with? There really are a lot of us out here still running 2G phones that would love to have MMS..

Hi all,

this is my first post here, hope I'm not hijacking!

Found this thread while looking into updating my wifes carrier settings to allow MMS but I don't want to update the firmware as its nicely Jailbroken and unlocked.

As suggested I have tracked down the requisite ipcc on Trejan.com.

However when attemting to use the shift/update trick I only have the option of viewing ipsw files and iTunes won't allow me to change this.

If anyone has any suggestions I would be very grateful.

Many thanks.