Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New 3GS 1st time jailbreaking - Need some advice.

Default New 3GS 1st time jailbreaking - Need some advice.
    Hey guys,

I finally got an iPhone about a week ago, and have been reading up on jailbreaking and unlocking the phone. I will be leaving for Australia in Nov and will be gone for 6 months (going backpacking so I won't be bringing my laptop with me) so I need to get the phone unlocked before I leave. The jailbreaking process seems really simple, but i just had a few thing I would like to clarify before I actually attempt it since I won't be able to restore if anything goes wrong.

The phone came with 3.0.1 and I'm planning to follow this guide
    iClarified - iPhone - How to Jailbreak Your iPhone 3GS on OS 3.0.x Using RedSn0w (Windows) (Comments)

So here's what I wanted to know before I get started:
    1. Would it work perfectly fine if I just skipped that restoring step?

2. Just want to confirm that I would point redsn0w to the firmware that is linked in step one. The 3.0 Firmware?

3. Since I'm not doing a restore, should I do a reset from the phone or would it be fine to just go a head without any changes?

And I'm sure it'll work out fine, but I'm just wondering what my options would be if it didn't... Go without my phone for a while and hope the 3.1 jailbreak/unlock comes out before Nov,or Rrestore/update my phone and return it losing a 10% restocking fee at the apple store (bought the device without contract, so i would lose about $90 CDN) and wait until I'm in Australia to buy another 1?

I'm pretty new to all this and all the info on 3.1 has been pretty confusing, so please let me know if I missed something or if there's anything I should avoid doing (besides updating to 3.1).

Cheers.
    Last edited by ~Kenneth; 2009-09-25 at 08:20 AM.

hi,
    1) yep, you can skip that. in fact, you can't restore
    2) yep, you need to point redsn0w to 3.0
    3) no, it shouldn't matter, just run redsn0w and there you go

if something goes wrong ... well, if something goes wrong you are in deep trouble. but there is some things you don't seem to know anyway, so here we go (I wrote those down a couple of times in the last days, so forgive me if the answer falls out rather short):
    you should be very aware that if you need an unlock, you are maybe stuck with 3.0.1 forever. and if you need an unlock and something goes wrong with the phone so you need to restore it, it's pretty much over. the thing is that you can only restore to 3.1 with the 3GS. if you do that, your phone will become permanently locked. in order to create custom 3.1 firmwares that allow you to use 3.1 unlocked, you need to restore your phone first ... which you can't do without losing the unlock forever.

you see the problem? as long as no new unlock is developed, be very aware of these things! if you ever need to restore it's over. you either have a brick and wait it out (if a new unlock is ever developed) or you restore to 3.1 and have a very nice ipod, or you can only use the simcard that came with the phone.